Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2004.5 Starting problems

Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 AM
connorgleason
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004.5 Starting problems

Recently I noticed the engine cranking slowly on cold starts. My CTD is a 2004.5 and has 89k miles. The engine DOES start and once running it is fine, but it is definitely a slower start than usual. I replaced the two batteries...no change. I then pulled the starter and replaced the contacts and plunger, slightly better but still struggles to start after it has been sitting awhile. Then today I replaced the fuel filter...again, slightly better, but still slow. Once I'm running everything seems perfect.

I thought maybe it was the injectors, but there has never been any white smoke. I was also wondering about the lift pump, but there is no power loss under full throttle, never stalls, etc. There have also been no codes at all, which I thought was odd. One thing I did notice is that when trying to start it at night (with my interior lights on), there was some major dimming when the starter was cranking.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know if my model (2004.5 Cummins HO) has the in-tank lift pump? Thanks.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Have you cleaned all of your power and ground cables? Not just the ends on the batteries, but where they connect to the block and chassis as well?

Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
connorgleason
Rookie

I haven't cleaned the block/chassis ends...only the terminals on the batteries. I'll give that a go after work today and see how it turns out. How great would that be if it was something that simple

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM
pizzo
All Star

My 2004.5 originally came with the pump on the side of the engine... As stated by Brian Check the cables at the other end too.. Also might want to check or change the main power wire to the starter.. see if its burn or cut someplace also check the cross wire from both batteries it may be cut or corroded someplace..

Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 PM
connorgleason
Rookie

I just spent the whole day going through my electrical system. Checked all cables to and from batteries, starter, etc. Scuffed everything well to ensure good contact. Batteries are new and hold charge. Alternator appears to be working as it should. Pulled the starter (again) and this time took apart the whole thing for a serious cleaning. There was A LOT of crud built up inside the housing....spent a good 2 hours cleaning everything. Put it all back together and into the truck. The starter definitely cranks faster than before, which is good, but for some reason it still takes longer to fire. I am completely at a loss for what to try next. My other list of possibilities are;

1. Alternator - but wouldn't the batteries drain as I'm driving?
2. Fuel pump - but wouldn't I notice power loss, stalls, etc?
3. Fuel injectors - but there is no white smoke, power loss, or misfires

Also, I just noticed that my stock batteries were rated at 750 cca, but the replacements are 700 cca. Could a difference of 50 actually be enough to impact the starting?

My other, and maybe last, idea is the computer. Is is possible I need a "reflash" or whatever the dealer calls it in order to charge me a lot of money?

On the bright side, at least the changes I've made thus far have helped...so at least I have a little time to debug the problem. Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 AM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Have you tried removing the Banks stuff? Have you cleaned all the connectors associated with the Banks wiring harness? I have heard others complain of longer crank times with Banks equipment.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
connorgleason
Rookie

Nope. Haven't tried that yet...I'll give it a go. Thanks for the input. I didn't even take into account the Banks stuff. Do you happen to have a link to any forum posts about the Banks/slow starting problems?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by connorgleason
Nope. Haven't tried that yet...I'll give it a go. Thanks for the input. I didn't even take into account the Banks stuff. Do you happen to have a link to any forum posts about the Banks/slow starting problems?
We can't link you out side of DF to other dodge sites I have looked elsewhere nothing found..
I didn't see any in a search here.. saying it was the banks
Question though banks can shut the fuel off if your oil pressure is low or does it just beep at you???
The reason its cranking Banks may not allow it to start until you have enough oil pressure... to turn on the fuel or injectors how ever it works..
On a gasser Chevy if you disconnect the oil pressure switch at the back of the block the fuel pump wont turn on until it see's oil pressure so you have to crank until the gauge reads you have it..then it starts.. is that Strange or what? It only took two hours to figure that out a few weeks ago...

Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Tazman40
Professional

if its just starting hard on cold start ups ide look to see if any glowplugs are fried.I had a chevy that wouldnt start cold for crap and found i had 3 glowplugs not working.started like new after replaceing them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004.5 Starting problems