Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trans cooler lines leaking

Old 06-26-2010, 03:25 PM
sprntpshr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans cooler lines leaking

Hello all, I normally hang out at 2nd gen gas forum but I have a '03 3500 QC too! Anyone have the trans cooler lines start leaking on '03 3500 diesel Ram? Mine started to leak, by the time the leak was discoverd the truck is stranded along the road. Any damage possible to the trans? Are these lines a dealer item? I looked up in Dorman catalouge but nothing is listed.

Thanks sprntpshr

Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

Found the trans cooler line split at the rubber hose connection to the tube. $100 at the dealer for a new one, not available aftermarket. Check yours if you have a auto trans and save yourself a long walk.

sprntpshr

Last edited by sprntpshr; 07-01-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:31 AM
megajimbo

I have a 2000 Ram 2500 and a 2006 Ram 3500 both trucks started leaking at the trans cooler/hose connection. Quick connect, great idea but Dodge engineers screwed this one up. My first trial was with the 2500. Tranny shop found the leak but not at the hose, was on the tranny cooler line. The SS clamp inside the hose end eats into the soft aluminum of the cooler. The leak happens just inside the hose end directly before the O-ring seal. With all the vibrations of a Cummins, it's a ticking time bomb. Had to replace the cooler and the line. $500.00, Thanks Dodge.

Second time around, on the 3500, same thing happened. I wasn't messin' with the stock set up this time. Went down to the local hydraulic hose shop and purchased some aluminum nuts and welded them to the damaged ends of the tranny cooler. The nuts cost about $5.00. Saved buying a new cooler. Reinstalled cooler and took the measurements for the new hydraulic hoses. They made me custom hoses that fit the new nuts on the cooler side and matched the stock fittings on the tranny side, about $30.00. There is also a check valve on one of the stock hoses which is a joke, 1/4" I.D. on a 7/16" line, that's real smart. I was able to get a 1/2" I.D. check valve that matched the 1/2" hyd hose to improve flow for another $20.00. Took me half a day to do all the runnin' around but I don't think I will ever be stuck dripping/pouring tranny fluid on the side of the road ever again.

You could easily blow a tranny on this factory mistake. I lost over one gallon of fluid in 15 miles. It was a fluke that I stopped and noticed the trail I was leaving behind. Another 30 minutes of driving and I would be shelling out six large for a new tranny.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

Sounds like you did what I was thinking. We don't really have a good hydraulics place near here for fittings. I ended up getting a replacement from the dealer. The old line once I got it off had come apart where the hose is crimped onto the tube with metal sleeves. The sleeve on both ends had corroded and fell off.
My beef is that this truck sees limited use during the winter and has been spray oiled since new and still, this metal sleeve rotted off. And that it is a $110 part that is proprietary to Dodge which will fail again since the new one isn't any different.
I have drove the truck after repairs and no issues have come up to date. My wife was driving the truck when it failed and its a good thing it wasn't in a desert or in the mountains.

sprntpshr

Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 AM
boxerdiesel
Rookie

had mine replaced on my 07 at 66,000 miles both the fittings going into the cooler roted and started to leak. lost about a gallon of fluid in a day. yet again another dodge only part at a cost of $350.........

Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 AM
blackimpala1

Well all of your trucks are newer than mine, my metal line wore through @ a clamp. Went to NAPA got hose, made for transmissions, and horse barbs and clamps. Good to go for two years now, just check it every time I'm under the truck.

Floyd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans cooler lines leaking