Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Best tuner/programmer???

Old 10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Brian in PA
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tuner/programmer???

Hi guys! I know I'm not the first to ask this question. I have an '06 3500 4x4 with an auto trans and a dealer installed exhaust brake. I'm thinkin 'bout a tuner box, but not sure which one to get. I really like the Banks reputation, I consider Gale Banks to be the Granddaddy of diesel performance. Although I really the Edge products. What are you guys running?? I'm looking for better Mpg and better towing power. I have 33 foot fifth wheel camper that I use the truck for. Also will the ex brake be compatible with the tuner? I also have a 4 inch turbo back Silverline exhaust and a K&N drop in filter. Thanks in advance!

Brian

Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys around here all swear by Smarty programmers. I've got an H&S black maxx and I'm fairly happy with it.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Brian in PA
Amateur

Ok thanks! I figured I would get more responses.

Brian

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty slow around here.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:40 PM
fckstck
Amateur

i have the quadzilla adrenaline on my truck.. works great.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 PM
krsmitty
Amateur

Have you done any modifications to your transmission? That is usually the weakest point. The stock transmission can not handle much more than stock hp/torque. Especially under the additional strain of towing. Also depends on your driving habits and the luck of the draw. I have a 07 5.9 auto and have used the Smarty Jr for about a year with no issues (knocking on wood). But there are others who have had to have the transmission rebuilt within weeks of putting on a tuner. For sure no towing with a tuner unless you have the transmission built to handle it. Or at least keep the torque mgmt settings at stock.

You have gauges? That is the next step. When you start adding hp/torque you need to monitor the EGT's, boost, Tranny temp.

If you are looking for a basic tuner, there is the Smarty Jr. Three pre-programmed settings; 40hp/70hp/100hp. And some settings for torque mgmt and injector timing.

Last edited by krsmitty; 10-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:46 PM
fckstck
Amateur

i have a 5 speed manual in my truck so it handles the power. unless i have it turned up and i let the truck tack up over 3 grand then the clutch starts spinning faster then the tranny can catch up. with the gauges the quadzilla came with all the gauges built in on the screen. the only thing i dont have is fuel pressure for the vp44 (my CTD is an 01) already had to change that once.. but i do watch my egts when i have the tuner turned up those climb fast with the extra power added

Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM
krsmitty
Amateur

Originally Posted by fckstck
i have a 5 speed manual in my truck so it handles the power. unless i have it turned up and i let the truck tack up over 3 grand then the clutch starts spinning faster then the tranny can catch up. with the gauges the quadzilla came with all the gauges built in on the screen. the only thing i dont have is fuel pressure for the vp44 (my CTD is an 01) already had to change that once.. but i do watch my egts when i have the tuner turned up those climb fast with the extra power added
Yes, the manual transmission will handle more power than the auto. You may need to look into upgraded clutch etc. on of these days. I have the Edge Insight for gauges. Set up to monitor boost, EGT, Tranny temp and Fuel rail pressure.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM
dasnake
Veteran
Default my thoughts

i have an '07 5.9 3500 dually, i put in the smarty jr at the 105 rating, when towing i average 15 to 16,000 lbs. works just fine, put in a high pressure valve body, mag hytec double deep, and a manual t/c lockup, also run a k and n drop in. jake brake and 4:10's installed by the dealer, love the improvements, that isn't all but i don't have two hours to bore you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tuner/programmer???