Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

48re Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 PM
brockrickerson2009
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48re Upgrades?

I had started a post before about the problems I am having so now I have decided its time to upgrade the 48re.

I will be pushing the max of 550 hp in the future if all goes well. What is the best way to go about this? It would be all great in dandy if I had 5k to drop a stage 2 ats in their but I really dont. So I guess my question is do I save up for it? OR should I just go buy parts and rebuild mine? Also another possibly might be buy a suncoast or ats without billet and converter? and just wait on that.

Any and all suggestions would be great. I started reading around and I have the hunting problem that sounds like a lot of 48re are having and I have replaced the soleniod twice now and both have started acting up 5 to 10 thousand miles again plus starting to slip.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
BigbadMagnum99

I am in the same boat as you, my 48RE is doing the hunting from 1st to 2nd gear. I think I will take it into a tranny shop and get a new solinoid a try first. I got close to 165K miles on my stock tranny which has done great. Just wondering if I am wasting my money on the solinoid issue for the shifting gears or just bite the bullet and get a rebuild with triple clutches or go the NADP new tranny.

It is a big price difference from my local tranny repair shop $3000.00 with taxes and everything for a Rebuild with triple clutch. NADP is close to $4700.00 for triple clutch. The warranties are about the same. Also, I had my tranny serviced last fall and there is not much adjustment left on my plates. So,...I am not sure where too lean to. How much does it cost to replace those solinoids?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's tough to recommend going with an upgraded soft part kit if you know you're going to want to replace billet parts later - the labor is going to be quite expensive. The torque converter and flexplate would be much cheaper to put in later as you just have to pull the trans back. (Just...)

If the 48RE is anything like the transmissions in the stuff I work on, there are wires inside that can get chafed/worn/rotten (insulation) and cause problems, but that's something that should have been found on visual inspection when they dropped the pan last.

It's also hard to recommend parts for a rebuild when you can't tell how worn the existing parts are... I'm pretty lucky in that I've got a boss cool enough to let me pull my truck in and leave it on a lift for 2 weeks, AND I work with one of the best dodge tranny guys in the region, so I could pull my trans all apart and inspect for wear prior to ordering parts.

You've said you want to go 500-550 hp or so, do you sled pull or otherwise beat the hell out of the truck (aside from just pulling that big boat)? If so, the billet internals, flexplate, and beefy torque converter would be a lot higher up on the priority list.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
brockrickerson2009

Okay as of right now I have Edge chip, 5 in exhaust, intake, and I have setting on the floor is 50 lb injecters and a new pump to put in. I probably will never get any where near 500-550 horses right now. Maybe 4-5 years I would like to buy a newer truck and make this a sled or even just a toy truck. So basicly what I got from your suggestion is to buy a suncoast or ats and buy billet and converter later? which i could very well do pretty easy let me know what you are thinking still open to suggestions. or anyone has a 2005-2006 diesel manual they are wanting to sell that would be great too

Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
brockrickerson2009

[quote=BigbadMagnum99;2411351]I am in the same boat as you, my 48RE is doing the hunting from 1st to 2nd gear. I think I will take it into a tranny shop and get a new solinoid a try first. I got close to 165K miles on my stock tranny which has done great. Just wondering if I am wasting my money on the solinoid issue for the shifting gears or just bite the bullet and get a rebuild with triple clutches or go the NADP new tranny.

It is a big price difference from my local tranny repair shop $3000.00 with taxes and everything for a Rebuild with triple clutch. NADP is close to $4700.00 for triple clutch. The warranties are about the same. Also, I had my tranny serviced last fall and there is not much adjustment left on my plates. So,...I am not sure where too lean to. How much does it cost to replace those solinoids?[/quot

300$ if the dealership does it what it cost me. The second time I did it myself very simple was 75$ got the solinoid off the internet. All you do is pull the pan off and it sets right their 3-4 bolts and a wire plug you take off. if you do this let me know how your truck responds and if it holds up. I hope it does

Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
CCR542

I'm looking at the same thing for my 06. I pulled my 37 5th wheel one time and slipped the tranny (48re). My aim is a Suncoast 500+. I don't beat my truck other than the pipeline work I do and I'm still under warranty so I'm hoping it takes a dump in the next 30,000 miles.

Quick Reply: 48re Upgrades?