Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

drum brake locking up

Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 PM
1981dodgeorange
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drum brake locking up

i have a 1999 with a 5 speed maual and when its wet and cold my rear drum brakes lock up and they are really touchy they lock up on anything snow or pavement. i have a friend with 2000 with a 6 sp and his does the same. only when its wet and cold. anyway to fix it? or wheats causing it

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM
3500reddragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the drums apart, check the status of the shoes and drums, and clean everything thoroughly. You might need to manually adjust the auto adjusters looser to get the drums off. The auto adjusters are notorious for binding up and not working properly (not adjusting tight enough, which is a different problem). The adjusters might be hard to manipulate due to this (don't forget to move the locking mechanism away from the star so that you can loosen them. It might require a spray of PBR or similar penetrating lubricant. Make sure all hardware is in good shape and lube the assembly appropriately. Verify that the thick shoes are facing the rear of the vehicle. I've seen people/shops put them on backwards, which will cause problems. Obviously something is binding up; you just have to go over it meticulously and find the problem. Brake dust gets trapped in the drums and can cause things to bind up.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM
codyayrton
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My right rear is doing the same thing. I noticed an oil spray on the inside of the wheel. I pulled the drum off and everything is saturated in oil. Hmmmmm.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: drum brake locking up