Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

99 cummins fuel pressure? and egt?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 AM
99dodgediesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cummins fuel pressure? and egt?

I have a 99 dodge cummins 5 speed completely stock this weekend I installed the new edge cts for the guages and added power capabilities and im pleased with it so far. My question is what should my fuel pressure be? I installed the sending unit in the banjo bolt ontop the fuel filter canister as the.directions.said was ok for 99 only. I have 12 psi at idol and if I step hard on it in stock it may drop 1 maybe 2 psi. But in level 5 it can drop as low as 4 is this normal?

I also am wondering about my egts what is a good number to use as a safe number to keep from hurting my engine. I know the edge comes pre set to backdown at 1350 but is that to high? Just trying to make sure I don't melt my truck down. I do plan on gutting the cat this weekend. I also installed the egt probe in the manifold if that makes a difference.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 PM
stodg73
Amateur

If you have the stock lift pump, you need to upgrade to something a little better, F.A.S.S., AirDog, Raptor, etc., to protect your Injection Pump You need to be above 14 psi at idle, and try to keep it above 10 psi at WOT. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter, as this may be keeping your fuel pressure low.

For the EGT, the best temp to keep it under is 1250*, much hotter is when you start to melt aluminum. But, you can go past this number for short bursts, less than 30 seconds.

There should not be a cat on your truck, what you are seeing is the resonator, it reduces the drone of the exhaust.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:48 PM
99dodgediesel

Would the fads ddrp be enough to handle it? I did notice today my egts drivin down the road stayed about 6 to 700 on the milege setting is that normal? It doesn't take long to get egts up into the 1100 to 1200 range when you get on it hard in level 6. What are some easy ways to lower egts?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 PM
stodg73
Amateur

The FASS DDRP might work for you, I would go with the AirDog Raptor. This will flow enough fuel for what you have, yet if you decide to go for more power, you should go with a bigger pump. That way you know that you have enough fuel flow to cool the pump.

There are not many ways to keep the EGT's down, you can do water/methanol, a bigger turbo(this produces turbo lag), smaller(stock) injectors, keep the boost pressure up, etc.

For mileage, your EGT's are in the proper range. The 600*-700* are normal, non-towing, in flat terrain.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:08 PM
98Dakota
Rookie

i think you should upgrade to a aftermarket lift pump for the sake of your IP..but cutting the cat out will help the ETG's as well as a cold air intake filter system and if you can stand the drone the muffler..the more they breath the better the EGT's..

Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 PM
99dodgediesel

Thanks guys for the feedback im glad to know its runnin average egts now ill just upgrade the lift pump. Im pretty pleased with the edge it really woke my truck up and im seeing 4+ more mpg hand calculated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 cummins fuel pressure? and egt?