Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Where is my Fuel Transfer (lift) pump??

Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Tyson0317
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is my Fuel Transfer (lift) pump??

Hi Guys,

I have a 2004 Ram 2500 TD 4x4, Quad Cab, 6spd.

For a few days now I have been trying to figure out the location of my fuel pump. I got the shop manuals, read online posts... I know where its supposed to be - under the hood attached to the back of the fuel filter. I found the fuel filter, with its yellow water drain lever. My filter cap is black (as opposed to white, which I have seen in pictures of other's trucks), but I have inspected it and can tell you, my filter housing does not have a pump attached to it. On the back, I have a fuel line, which I traced all the way back to the fuel tank without a pump anywhere along the line. The manual constradics what I am seeing on my truck.

Ideally, I am looking for the pump's electric wire. Alternatively, if anyone knows where a relay or fuse for the pump is, that would be helpful also...

Help!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 AM
akguy09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer's did an in-tank retrofit on some models years, I am not sure if that was all 2nd gen Trucks of if 3rd gens got it as well.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

2004 Ram 2500 TD 4x4 as is CTD? Can you go backwards from the fuel rail on the intake?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Tyson0317
Amateur

I dont know what CTD is, but it is the 5.9L, 6 cylinder, Turbo Diesel. Everything under my hood looks like the book shows it, but the fuel filter housing has no pump on it.

I followed the fuel lines from the injectors, to rail, to what looks like a mechanical (high pressure) pump on the driver-front of the engine, then to the big filter unit with the removeable black plastic cap and yellow drain valve, then via combination of hard and rubber line to the tank. THERE IS NO DAMN PUMP!

I looked all around where the pump should be for a 3-pin connector that would have gone to it; it does not seem to exist. If this was a dealer retrofit, I would expect to find the plug dangling. It is hard to see around there, so they may have clipped and tucked the wire, but I could not find it last night.

At this point the pump has got to be in the tank, but why? The other curious thing is that like I said, I have looked at the under-hood relay/fulse box at least 10 times now - there is nothing that clearly says anything about a pump (only ABS pump, which is brakes). Fuel cant be getting to the engine by magic and it must be fused and should be relayed...

If you guys really think I am crazy, I could post pictures this week....

Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the 04 you could have either or, engine mounted, or fuel tank mounted, the engine mounted pump will not be on the filter housing but rather on the engine block, below and behind the filter housing, or it could have the factory or retro fit tank mounted pump, the relay is in the under hood fuse pannel and is the very foward passenger side relay in the pannel

Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Tyson0317
Amateur

Dodgetrucker, so I finally got around to looking at this again tonight. Neighbor's '96 Toyota Tacoma parked 3 spots behind my rig got stolen last night. The relay you pointed me to is marked as "Starter Relay" on the box cover. After removing it, I found that indeed the starter would not crank.

This has 2 problems for me.

#1 My truck is a stick-shift and does not need a starter to get itself running. I live on a steep hill so a starter bypass is useless to me as a would-be thief would just roll the truck down the hill and pop-start it with a smile on their face.

#2 I would like my starter functional so that the truck makes noise, but does not start if some jackass is trying to hotwire it.

Given quiet time and a bit of savvy any car immobilizer can be circumvented by someone who knows their way around the hood. If they are however cranking and the truck wont start, they will question their hotwire connections and will spend time making a lot of abnormal noise before realising the likely cause, which will likely prompt them to leave rather than spending more time in the area.

Apperantly my fuel lift pump was at some point moved to the inside of the fuel tank. I would LOVE to know how to disable the damn thing as I can find no wires, no relay and no fuse that control it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is my Fuel Transfer (lift) pump??