Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

timing cover oil drip

Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 AM
shortyR6
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing cover oil drip

has anyone fixed their leak?

i have a small drip coming from the bottom of the timing cover. i ordered the timing cover gasket and seal kit from rockauto (thanks weedahoe).

i am guessing the front end is going to have to come off to get real access to the seal and timing cover.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, its quite easy, pull the belt, take the bolts out of the fan hub mount, pull the fan and shroud, the dampner is held on with four bolts and is not pressed, should come right off, then remove the cover, that is if you are just doing the outer gasket, if you need to do the inner gasket, its a real pita.... plan on pulling the entire core support and coolers, pulling the injection pump, and also have to remove the cam.... either way while you are in there, check all bolts you can get too, and check the kdp, the 03 shouldnt have a kdp issue, but there is a chance...

Old 02-09-2011, 01:18 PM
shortyR6
Professional

i should be doing the outter cover and the crank seal. i am getting a slight drip from the bottom there, but its enough to drive me nuts with the spots in the drive way.

it sounds easier than anticipated. i thought i was going to have to remove the bumper, rad, etc... to gain proper access to the front of the motor.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
shortyR6
Professional

did this a month or so ago. it was lot of work, but its done now. the old seal had a part of the lip folded under which allowed it to have a slow drip. its been a month or so, and still dry as a bone under the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing cover oil drip