Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Surge in overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM
01 Dodge 2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surge in overdrive

Just started having a difficulty with my 01 Dodge 2500 5.9L cummins. As i accelerate and roll thru the gears (automatic) when i get into OD it will surge. This stops when I get to about 60 mph. If I take the OD off and put it back on after 60 mph I also do not get the problem. I have recently changed the TPS and had my local mechanic put on a noise reducer (no clue what kind) Any ideas? Gut tells me it is transmission as it is only for a short duration on acceleration in OD. There are to many things there that I could screw up so I am not touching it without at least an idea of a possible cause. Any Ideas?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
tiger63
Rookie
Default 01 Dodge 2500

Try this before anything else.

Remove your battery cables from the battries, clean both the positive and negative posts as well as the inside of all cable ends (female part)

Reattach all cables check the ground connection to the engine body.

The tranny is sensitive to improper voltage and could give the results you have.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
01 Dodge 2500
Default Thanks Tiger

Took a look at everything you suggested and it was all good. But with that in mind continued to look and found a loose ground wire off the TPS. Secured the the ground with new end and it has fixed the problem so far. While rooting around in there found a few other corroded connections and fixed those as well. I am assuming the problem was the ground but could have been one of the others or a combination. Thanks for the suggestion, it sent me down the right path.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 AM
tiger63
Rookie
Default surge in overdrive

I am glad to have helped you, at one time a few years back this site had some very helpfull and savy fellows and girls.

Today the place has lost those folks who knew the in's and outs about our older trucks.

If you will send me a private message with your e-mail address I have other answers for the 24 valve 5.9.

Some things are simple but the dealer-stealers and Dodge it's self are the wrong route to take. I have 11 years petting and holding on to my truck.

See Ya!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
01 Dodge 2500

Being very new in this forum I am not real savvy yet on the ins and outs. I was thinking about selling my 01 and updating a bit but realized that I own nothing on mine and trade in is not real great so a monster payment loomed. I just put 4 in exhaust on it as the old exhaust took a dive. I thought I had a U-Joint going but found the baffles in the exhaust were breaking. So broke out the sawsall and kept cutting until the problem went away. Only had about 2.5 feet left when I got done. Problem was fixed but it was a bit noisy. I also had an edge chip but that died and tried the hypertech III. This does not give me the power the Edge did but mileage is pretty good at nearly 25 mpg. I have heard of folks stacking chips but not sure how that works. My son in law will be redoing the body and pain in the next couple months. I am keeping the ol' girl and likely for the long term. Not looking to go to crazy on performance but would like a bit of extra umphf!

Quick Reply: Surge in overdrive