Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2001 Automatic 2500 Occasionally won't shift out of first.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Willber-Force
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Automatic 2500 Occasionally won't shift out of first.

I first encountered this problem 3 days ago after following a slow loaded transport truck up a large hill. At the end of the hill he accelerated away and no matter how much gas I gave it, it would not shift out of first gear. I stopped, messed with the shifter, put it in reverse, neutral, etc. Nothing worked. I wasn't far from home so I figured I would limp home in first but after about a minute the problem cleared up.

It happened again today twice, once after a stop sign turn and again pulling into the driveway. First time it fixed itself after a minute, second time I was already home so we'll see what happens when I start it up again.

The dip stick indicates the transmission fluid is fine. Maybe air is getting into the transmission hydraulic lines?

Should I just take it in? I really hope I'm not out a chunk of cash for a transmission rebuild.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Willber-Force

Now it's stuck that way and is undriveable. If anyone has any ideas, let me know, I'm gonna call someone tomorrow about it.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Willber-Force

I checked the error codes and there is two new codes since the last time I checked it:
P1757 - Transmission control pressure above 3 PSI when it should be zero
P1762 - Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage

Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like maybe a seal leak, I'll ask my trans guy tomorrow. He's built thousands of 727-based transmissions and knows his stuff.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 PM
miknwv
Veteran

I had that same problem and found a workaround and a fix:

Workaround: Accelerate very hard through the gear its stuck in, then manually shift to the next gear while letting off the throttle. Pick up the throttle again after truck has shifted. If it shifts or stays, its a good indicator of your problem. This can cause the truck to shift up to the next gear and then work normally.

Fix: When I had this problem, it was my 2nd gear actuator....it wouldn't shift from 1st to 2nd but if I ran the RPMs up hard enough I could get it to shift from 1st to Drive. The actuator is about $45 but someone has to pull the tranny, and thats where it'll vary.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Willber-Force

I fixed the problem yesterday. I replaced the two sensors in the bottom of the transmission referenced by the two error codes.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 PM
miknwv
Veteran

It's a good thing it was just sensors and not hardware inside the tranny

Old 05-10-2016, 02:16 AM
crazyjohn7
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9L 2-WHEEL DRIVE, with a 42RE Transmission but I was getting P1762 Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Improper Voltage. It wouldn't shift out of first gear done it intermittent, and it really seemed to have weird problems, like coming up with different codes as misfiring and tried turning OD off but no avail. It would stall at the computer pigtails when pressed or wiggled, mainly white connector, but my problem WAS FIXED by buying a governor solenoid that holds 4-11mm bolts and 2- t20 screws, and governor pressure sensor off Ebay for $120. it took me and a friend about a hour to do whole job. First time I have ever worked this kind of tranny job, but after I put new filter in which holds 3-t20 screws, and gasket with sealer to hold the gasket in place while putting 10-15 1/2 bolts, be very careful to unplug the sensor plug and governor pressure solenoid plug. Afterwards I put in the ATF+4 (5 QRTS not 4), and when I started truck the check engine light went off immediately, took it for a test drive, I had more power, shifted perfect, and still shifts perfect. and I was just about to replace the computer that would cost here around $230-$270, glad I didn't. I have researched and researched countless forums. My advice is if your having similar problems and trouble codes of P1762 and P1763, do the governor pressure solenoid and sensor, filter and the right type of tranny fluid it calls for, before buying the computer unless the scanner tool wont read from computer. Hopes this helps someone, and don't be discourage about the kind of job, it was'nt really that bad, just messy. Just registered and type the code in and this post came up. The parts didn't look bad at all, but was completely worth it.ty

Quick Reply: 2001 Automatic 2500 Occasionally won't shift out of first.