Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injector replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FORANE,

The best filter to use in the stock filter housing is the 5 micron Baldwin PF7977 or the 7 micron Fleetguard Stratapore. Then when you get some extra coin install a 2 micron filter set up to help keep more junk out of from your injectors, dirt and water along with lack of lube in your fuel are your injectors enemy.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
FORANE
Amateur

Originally Posted by DBLR
FORANE,

The best filter to use in the stock filter housing is the 5 micron Baldwin PF7977 or the 7 micron Fleetguard Stratapore. Then when you get some extra coin install a 2 micron filter set up to help keep more junk out of from your injectors, dirt and water along with lack of lube in your fuel are your injectors enemy.
Yes, I am running the Baldwin now. I learned about it on this site. I put the Baldwin on right after buying the truck along with all routine stuff I do whenever I purchase a new to me vehicle - new oil & filter, new front and rear differential gear oil, new ATF, new ATF in transfer case, air filter, etc.
Thanks for mentioning that filter.

What do you mean regarding lube in fuel? I am not familiar with that.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Titan12345
Professional

Why so long to remove and replace? It seems like the are easier to get to. Do you know the time a dlr might get? Jb

Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
FORANE
Amateur

Originally Posted by Titan12345
Why so long to remove and replace? It seems like the are easier to get to. Do you know the time a dlr might get? Jb
I do not know the time a mechanic would book for the job. I am a shadetree mechanic just occasionally working on my vehicles and a professional by trade. Now that I have done it once I figure I could go much faster. I ran into difficulty getting the rear feed tube nut out until I decided to remove a plate partially blocking access to the last feed tube nut.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Your 2006 was made to burn LSD, the ULSD we get today has less lube for the fuel system, low lube is hard on the whole fuel system including the injectors and why many run additives like 2 cycle oil, Opti lube, 2-5% Bio diesel, Power Service, Howe's etc to help protect the whole fuel system that depends on the lube in diesel fuel to keep it lubricated.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM
FORANE
Amateur

Originally Posted by DBLR
Your 2006 was made to burn LSD, the ULSD we get today has less lube for the fuel system, low lube is hard on the whole fuel system including the injectors and why many run additives like 2 cycle oil, Opti lube, 2-5% Bio diesel, Power Service, Howe's etc to help protect the whole fuel system that depends on the lube in diesel fuel to keep it lubricated.
Every time I turn around, I learn something new about these trucks...
I had not heard this before so I googled it and found the thread below. What do you think about the letter from Cummins? Thanks for the post.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...l-t250159.html

Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Titan12345
Professional

Thanks for the link. I actually signed up for that site too. There is so much to learn. I too was in the gas side. One comment on the link mentioned a flying j tanker driver adding additives, actually it was probably a foaming agent. Any additives are only added at the terminal. I still add certain when I fill up just for good measure.
I also have used the napa gold line fuel filter. I need to see what micron it filtered to. John

Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

The best filters to use are the Baldwin PF7977 its 5 micron and the Fleetguard Stratapore its 7 micron and Donaldson P550800. FYI many aftermarket fuel filters do not meet 2007 Dodge or Cummins spec and don't remove separate water from your fuel. On the dieseltruckresource web site you will see many post by ah64id he is the person who has a lot of great info about many brands of filters used on our trucks. Example the Wix 33585XE is nominal at 7 microns. Wix 33585 is nominal at 10 microns and neither one meets all of Dodge specs. Here are the current specs, based on TSB 14-007-06 5.9 CR motors require a 7 micron absolute filter. FYI Absolute is 98.7% efficiency where as nominal is 50% efficiency.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Mopartech84

DCJ tech. 5.9 cummins last if serviced properly. service fuel filter no more than 12 k intervals. I have noted from experience that the filter is best changed at 9k after that the elements show sign of deformation from restriction. That can cause dirt to get to the high side and wear down injector hydraulics and cause over or under fueling and erattic operation and no start due to high return flow.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:49 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Mopartech84
DCJ tech. 5.9 cummins last if serviced properly. service fuel filter no more than 12 k intervals. I have noted from experience that the filter is best changed at 9k after that the elements show sign of deformation from restriction. That can cause dirt to get to the high side and wear down injector hydraulics and cause over or under fueling and erattic operation and no start due to high return flow.
But if you use an inferior or the wrong micron rated fuel filter even if you changed it every 3K would not prevent injector problems.

Quick Reply: Injector replacement