Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

dodge encourages us to brake the law, check engine light related

Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 AM
mountaingade
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge encourages us to brake the law, check engine light related

So I just went from a 2004 ram 1500 with hemi to a 2011 2500 cummins HO this past September and after just 3 month and 5000km check engine light comes on WTF bran spankin' new truck and already something. Brought it to my dealer, had no F ing idea what was the issue so he deleted the codes and gave it back to me. 1 month later, light comes back on, dealer still useless erases the codes again and gives it back to me. 3 weeks later light comes back, I bring it back to the dealer, he erases the codes, gives it back to me. 2 weeks after that, guess what, ya the nice engine shaped yellow light comes back on trying to tell someone that something is wrong so I give my dealer so much crap and ended my sentence with '' you guys a good for nothing and costing me 650$ per day my truck is in your garage'' (i"m a contractor loosing my truck for 1 day = I have to stay at home) To his defense he replies ''we have no diesel technician and can only do oil changes here'' WTF.

Now to the good part, brought the truck to another dealer who has a diesel tech, he finds the problem in 1 day, all the sensors, EGR and the complete diesel filtering BS was full of soot. He cleans everything up, and this is his recommendation to me, THIS IS GOOD

"You cannot baby a 6.7, if you are not towing at least 8000 pounds, you gotta burn your tires coming off a red light or stop sign, if the limit is 100kph go 120, pass anyone in your way, basically drive like a race car driver, it's the only way you will burn all the crap built up in the filtering system, drive it like you stole it. What can you say to that!

Way to go dodge engineers, you add all these sensors, filtering BS to make the environment cleaner and to make the trucks "better", but we need to drive WFO all the time so no soot clog's that system which not only robs us HP but fuel mileage to. I love dodge, never had issues with my past 3 trucks but for this one, in my books I give the engineers a great big fat F.

OH and I'm sorry in advance for all the tickets I'm gonna get, but dodge made me do it.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have recorded the conversation, when your tickets start piling up sue Dodge for the advice given....Or at least try to...

Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an easy problem to remedy.. cut all that enviro crap out.. DPF/EGR, everything... as long as you aren't in a testing area of Canada or the USA, you'll be fine.

Honestly, you cannot blame this on Ram/Dodge... The environuts are the ones that pushed for these useless controls. Ram/Dodge manufactures vehicles for the N/A market, and they have to meet the laws dreamt up by those with too much pot in their blood, and not enough life experience to cross the road at a cross walk.

Look up DPF and EGR Delete online, you'll see lots of people have removed them... hopefully saving them to smoke enviro-bob over the head with it.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:19 PM
mountaingade
Rookie

cthulhu I red and studied the delete kit and I would have it installed today if I could, but all the dealers around here will cancel my warranty if I don't play by the rules plus I bought the extended warranty because I'm planing on riding this truck to at least 150 000km. Here in Quebec, we already pay a extra 150$ tax if you have a vehicle with with a 4.0 + litre engine every year when we renew our plates. This tax is a environment tax because "bigger motor = more pollution" I wonder what would be the numbers if someone could get 100% out of there 6.7, I mean rip every EPA extra stuff, having everything straight in and straight out. How much more power\torque\fuel economy could you get and how bad the pollutants could be?

I had a 1995 Honda civic cx hatchback while in high school not much anti pollutant systems on that, had a 38 litter tank and could get 800km on highway going 110 kmph thats 4.75L\100km, find a new car that can do that now!

Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, thank the good old EPA for this one. The CTD 5.9 was one of the most reliable engines ever put in a light truck, would run on anything from low sulfur to farm grade diesel to the oil you used for the big church fish fry last Sunday.

I dunno about the new Ford & GM diesels but I can say that prior to 2011 EVERYBODY was dealing with EGR and other emission conforming crap causing everything from CELs to trucks being put in granny mode by the PCM to trucks not starting.

The only guys I know with flawless running 6.7 CTDs are the guys who have deleted all their emission crap...

Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Xler8er
Rookie

co-worker just bought a new ford f 350 power stroke diesel and he has to put some additive in next to the fuel tank..This has its own tank for this cleaner .I was told it cleans the exhaust system. On a diesel!. COME-ON -MAN!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

They use whale **** for that.. its called urea.

They cannot cancel your warranty unless a modification you make directly caused the failure... for example, if you hack out your DPF, and you go in because you have an exhaust rattle... your SOL... because you throw a rod through the block, they'll have a hard time linking the two....

You may need to go to court to get them to follow this though. IMHO, it is still worth the risk.. or go find a good condition 06/07 pre-dpf truck...

I'm thinking mine will turn 1,000,000kms if I treat it nice.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
horatio102
Champion

First of all, don't bother going back to that first dealer. Ever. At no point should a dealership simply erase your codes and send you out the door without diagnosing the problem and attempting to correct it.

Secondly, this was supposed to have been corrected in about 2009 with a software reflash that will allow your truck to do a DPF regeneration while at idle, amongst other things.

If you're not using your exhaust brake regularly, the soot will tend to clog it up. These trucks don't like being driven on short trips, they're designed with heavy hauling over the road in mind.

If you remove your emissions equipment, you're in violation of federal emissions laws (here in the US anyway, not sure on Canadian laws), and I believe the manufacturer has every right to negate your warranty because of it. I'm well familiar with the Magnusson Moss act, but I don't believe it protects you while you're violating other laws - the letter of the law is made to protect owners who use non-factory replacement and service parts - filters, hoses, belts, fenders, wheels, windshields, wipers, etc. etc. etc.

Also, if you remove your emissions crap you'll have to use a programmer to alter the engine programming so that it doesn't attempt to do a DPF regeneration or EGR function, and typically that would also alter the performance of the engine. If you're altering the performance of the engine, the Magnusson Moss act won't magically protect you from declined warranty claims - operating outside the factory specs can cause any number of failures, most notably cracked injectors/nozzles. The 6.7 injectors run close to a thousand bucks a pop from the dealership.

I don't know if Canada has a similar law to the Magnusson Moss act, but I imagine they would.

Honestly, your best bet is to make sure your truck has the most current software on it, use the exhaust brake whenever you can, and don't use the truck for short trips.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:07 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Its sad that the pot smoking fools cry to the EPA that in turn have caused the manufactures to put a ton of smog junk on a diesel engine all because pot heads think its easy to get diesel exhaust to be cleaner then the exhaust of a gas engine.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a guy here who did the h&s tuner. Gets 18mpg city 24hwy with his 09 6.7l. He get 16-17 towing 20+k.The dealerships here don't cancel warranties if you do that cause there is no emissions testing in ND

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dodge encourages us to brake the law, check engine light related