Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DEF Fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
BigH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEF Fluid question

My dash says the DEF fluid level is at 48%. I went to put some in and got no more than a cup in before it ran out the filler neck. My question is do I have to have the truck running in order to fill it up? I searched the boards and in the owners manual but nothing says to have to truck running or not. How do you guys that have to use DEF fill yours? Maybe the sensor is out of whack and needs to be checked out? What are your ideas and opinions? It's a 2011 Ram 5500.

Thanks
H

Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM
12valveman
Professional

work on these daily are you using the supplied fillerneck to fill the truck ? not so unique but can not use a funnel to fill it screws onto the bottle and has a bleed orfice in to bleed air from inside of tank have not had this issue before usually if it says it is not full it will accept fluid let me know

Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM
BigH

12valveman, no, there was no fill neck or anything in the case I bought from the dealer. I called the service dept and they said that I needed the "special" filler thing as well. I guess I'll be picking one up monday. Thanks. I'll post back when i get it filled up.

H

Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
BigH
Default F&*^%$^&

So I bought the "special" filler attachment/ funnel thing that attaches to the DEF fluid container. Put it on, unscrewed the blue cap and tried to fill 'er up. Fluid goes in the attachment but that's it. Pulled it out of the neck and fluid goes all over the ground. I'm pissed. That crap is too damned expensive to just keep wasting it on the ground. I'm not a "simple" person and can do most any task unsupervised but this is ridiculous. I'm gonna take it back to the dealer and have them show me how to do it. What a waste of time.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this helps. Some of the early trucks were able to be over filled and show more than 100%. They would go over 100% and start over at 0%, not 101%. Tank holds 8 gallons.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
BigH

OK. So I took it back to the dealer yesterday. The service guy comes out and says 'How can I help you?' I told him what was going on and this guys has no idea what I'm talking about. He calls back to the shop and has a service mechanic come out to show me how to fill it. He attaches the nozzle, inserts said nozzle and tips the container. NOTHING! Fluid fills the nozzle but that's it. SOOO I have an appt on the 17th for the Diesel tech to check it out. It's the only day I have off that the tech will be in. It was at 41% when I tried to fill it, 42% when the mechanic tried it and now it's at 44%

The clog at the end is dried fluid. It crumbled right out.

Name:  P2291716.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  33.0 KB

The $9.40 nozzle
Name:  P2291714.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  36.7 KB

Old 02-29-2012, 11:10 AM
12valveman
Professional

yeah parts man was right but usually will only go to 20 percent if it is overfilled have never seen one go to 40 percent or higher .... have never seen this when the urea dries it makes that crust make sure you dont get any more of that old crusty stuff in the tank than you have to make sure the bleed tube is up when you fill the tank and not to the bottom of the tube when filling tank unless you have an obstruction in the fillerneck of the pickup you have me baffled keep me informed

Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 PM
(texas-ram)325HP
Veteran

Easy fix DPF delete and straight pipe

Quick Reply: DEF Fluid question