Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Duramax diesels .

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Duramax diesels .

Im looking for negative view points on the duramax, please be specfic abought what you know.

I don't like how low HD gm pickups sit, and thier some kinda case on the frame underneath the passenger side of the truck, not sure what this is.

Only item that may keep me in a dodge with a ctd is the 6sp man transmisson, othier wise Im not sold on the 2500 Ram ( as per my last issue with the drag link on my 06 2500 hemi )

Im pretty sure dodge is still using the same stearing and suspension componats on the new HD dodge trucks that my 06 Ram 2500 blew apart, if im wrong in asumming this, Please let me know.

Im also not sure if the dura max has to go threw a burn out routine like the 6.7 CTD .

Old 06-03-2012, 06:10 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for starters, it has a V8. This means more moving parts that can be broken within the engine.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Jigabop
Champion

dodge changed their steering assembly a bit in 08.5+ trucks. they ditched the y-style steering for the far superior t-style steering. also that steering can be retrofitted to any 2000+ dodge 2500-3500 4x4 truck..

Talking engine alone, the cummins diesel is a far superior engine to both duramax and powerstroke. the cummins is built 10x stronger, and will last 10x longer because of it. Being an inline 6 means it is capable of producing far more torque than a v8, but v8's will have it beat on hp numbers because of the extra cylinders and ability to rev higher.

cummins is easier to work on...lot more room in the engine bay, and its cheaper because of that to do performance or aftermarket mods to it...like injectors, an exhaust brake, etc...

and you already stated the available manual transmission vs being stuck with an automatic...

now I'm not saying dodge makes the best/strongest truck, because I don't think they do...but as far as diesel options go: cummins makes the best motor out there.

there are several dodge cummins motors out there running around with over 1 million miles on them, and they are still running strong without ever being rebuilt.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 PM
hillbilli
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look under the hood of a D-Max or P-Stroke and imagine trying to work on them. Injectors, injections pumps, water pumps. Look at all the things that have to be removed in order to do something, if you dont do your own work then you are paying someone labor to take out and put in all that just to change a sensor or injector or something. Its just a big Cluster F..k in there. Dodges, Inline 6 with valves right there on top, easy to get to.

Depending on what year D-Max, you have to deal with DPF fluid for the emissions systems. Put the wrong things in the wrong tank and good bye engine. Chevys/GMC's have front independent suspensions, good for a drive down the road but eventually all those joints in the drive line wear out and need replaced. Also, the 4x4 takes longer to engage as opposed to our dodges where you lock the transfer case and your good to go.

I believe you have to crawl under the truck and risk getting fuel dumped on you when you change the fuel filter on some chevys.

Basically D-maxes and P-Strokes are a lot more complicated engines with a lot more components, sensors, and gadgets. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. More componats = more problems+harder to troubleshoot which drives the price up.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

i had a dmax once.... 70k miles and ovet $50k in warenty work.... including 8 transmissions, 38 injectors, t-case, mutiple steering rebuilds, front diff, heads, injection pump, constant engine and trans overheating with any load, breaks were crap, the list goes on and on, left me on the side of the road more times than i could count, and the finnal kicker was that POS allison auto, was loaded down comming down a 7-8% grade had it pulled down to second gear and it started upshifting, sent me down the hill outa control, loaded at 70mph on 35mph road, u wana talk about needing some new pants and a seat! that will do it to you, no chevy's for me ever again!!!

not to mention on a dmax or PS you have to pull the cab to do any kind of work on the engine....

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 06-05-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

I have to buy a dodge to get a Ctd and the duramax to get the allsion transmison, I agree the ctd with 6cy is better but my stearing front suspension issues with dodge don't inspire me. So solid front axles have not worked in my favor, for a hater of automatics, I do prefer Gm automatics over dodge.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

I'm pretty sure a Gas truck vs a Diesel truck have nothing similar about the suspension.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Same suspension and stearing on a 2500 gas as a ctd only differance is the ctd have bigger axles, non servicable u joints ball joints, ect are issues I had to adress with non mopar parts

Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Well I assumed you had a 1500 HEMI, not a 2500 HEMI. You should put things like that in your signature or your vehicle description to avoid this type of confusion.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

I said I own a 2500 hemi in my first post on this topic. I'm waiting to hear back from a dodge dealer to get a more detailed description on the specifications on front u joints, ball joints, ect, joe average sales peson really has no knowledge on this.
I'm verry impressed with my test drive of a 6sp 6.7 ctd, I'm pretty sure price on a new truck and my trade will over ride brand prefferance.

Quick Reply: Duramax diesels .