Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tuner Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuner Time

So I'm looking at tuners, and I've come up with what I think are the 3 best options, and I'm looking for a little insight from everyone, because I've never had one before and can only go off of what I've read.

I'm don't romp on it very often, so I'm thinking my stock lift pump should be fine, and my clutch should hold up okay for awhile. When it goes I'll get a South Bend.

Also I'll be getting gauges for EGT, Boost, and Rail pressure.

Thanks guys.

1.) Banks Six Gun (Leaning towards this, I know banks makes good stuff and the IQ display would eliminate the need for gauges.)
http://bankspower.com/products/show/171/6

2.) EFI Live
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...eneral-contect

3.) BD Diesel Smarty
http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...uct/index/191P

Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Jigabop
Champion

banks makes good stuff for duramax, but not for cummins...

EFI Live is the best tuner out for common rail 5.9s right now. be warned though...you need a better lift pump, you need a set of gauges, and you need a clutch... EFI Live will make your truck feel like a muscle car and it will have no problem slipping the clutch.

it will also need the lift pump badly. stock lift pumps cant keep up with stock fuel demand.. you will run the risk of cracking your injectors if your lift pump cant keep up with the CP3 and the rail pressure drops or spikes.

you will need a few gauges for the truck: boost, EGT, and rail pressure.

clutch might survive on very low power tunes, but if you turn it up it WILL slip.

my stock clutch slipped with my truck back when it had stock turbo and stock injectors with just my fueling box...EFI Live for your truck adds a LOT more power than my fueling box does for my truck.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
hillbilli
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havnt heard a bad thing about EFI, it is custom tuned for your truck and your mods. Most people i have heard from with a Banks or Bully Dog on a Cummins, usually move on to a Smarty or something else within a year or so and cant stop saying what an improvement it is.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Alright, thanks for the heads up guys. I guess I'll look more into EFI live or smarty. I've never really heard of EFI Live before a few days ago so, but I've heard good things about Smarty for years.

Quick Reply: Tuner Time