Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

07 5.9 engine rattle

Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 07 5.9 engine rattle

i may be stressing over nothing here but would like to know if anyone else has noticed this noise...

its an 07, 5.9 with g56 trans

this noise is really noticeable when cold but does it all the time, it sounds like a tentioner or idler bearing failing, i changed the top idler just because but still have the noise, i checked all the other pullys and everything seems ok, then i noticed it can only be heard standing it front of the the truck, above or below the radiator i cant hear anything.... seems really strange, but for now i have just wrote it off as timing gear noise, or noise resonating from the clutch, anyone else notice anything similar?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it rattle when the clutch is depressed? Sounds like the DMF to me, I've heard they are pretty noisy, or can be.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
Does it rattle when the clutch is depressed? Sounds like the DMF to me, I've heard they are pretty noisy, or can be.
Haven't had a chance to get anyone to push the clutch while I listen, but no longer have the dmf either, got a SB solid now but its just as noisy if not worse

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 5.9 engine rattle