Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

No Power steeriing firm brakes 2011 Ram 2500

Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 PM
JatoJr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Power steeriing firm brakes 2011 Ram 2500

Yesterday I had an interesting situation when merging from one hiway to another... went to turn right while braking and had a VERY firm brake pedal and NO power steering!! It was all I could do to turn the truck and not "RAM" into traffic. It was like the engine had died. I instinctively shifted into neutral and shut the key off and restarted then had full power everything.

5 miles down the road I had it happen again, and again in 1/2 mile after that. Basically anytime I was on the brakes and turning at the same time I had no steering. This time I was watching the tach and noticed that the engine was not dead. lt just didn't have any power steering and a very hard brake pedal. I was even able to duplicate pulling up to a straight stop sign, brake to a stop and I couldn't turn the wheel. Let off the brake and it then turned fine.

Took it to dealer for warranty work (only 12k miles on the rig so far) and they are ordering a new power steering pump. Hope to get the truck back tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Last edited by JatoJr; 01-16-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Sounds like a weak power steering pump to me. The powersteering pump runs the brakes and the power steering. If the new pump dont fix it, then its more than likely the hrdroboost. If it does it again, put it back in neutral and rev the engine. If its the pump, your steering and brakes should start working again as the rpm's go up.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
JatoJr

Got my truck back a day later. Dealer found tons of metal particles in the power steering fluid. They replaced the pump and flushed out the fluid.

Said to drive it for a while and see if the problem comes back.... (and hope I don't kill someone if it does I guess...)

Not sure if there's a risk of those metal particles contaminating/damaging the power steering gearbox or the brake cylinder that's getting the fluid or not?

With my luck a month after the warranty expires the other parts will fail...

Old 01-20-2012, 08:58 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be concerned with contamination of the hydroboost system flowing back into the PS pump and causing damage.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Buickgs400

I'm new and signed up to your forum. Im having the same steering and braking issue w/ my 2011 dually. I emailed the issue to NHTSA. I assume the more that complain to NHTSA with the issue wld hopefully create a recall.

Trk has been at the dealer for 2 days. No word yet.
Tom arizona

Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom,

Have you heard from your dealer yet? If you would like additional assistance reviewing your concern, please feel free to PM me your VIN#.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ya should have heard something by now????

Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Dave 1968
Default 2011 2500 Steering and brake issues

I have a 2011 2500 HD and am experiencing the same issues. Started yesterday trying to exit highway, lost steering and brakes same time. I reported this issue immediately to the Vehicle Safety board.

Everyone experiencing this should report it so Chrysler recalls the power steering pump before someone gets killed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Power steeriing firm brakes 2011 Ram 2500