Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Advice with buying a new truck

Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Mahathey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice with buying a new truck

Hey guys! I hope I'm in the correct spot! Im looking to buy a new truck, and I dont know what I want/need. As of right now I'm still in highschool, but i have a job, and i will be buying this truck myself, with a down payment from a dealer. I want a Cummins 2500. No matter what i get, I want a 4x4 ext cab 5-6 speed. I want to stick with Dodge due to my ole rust bucket that runs amazing. I have been looking into the 1st gens, if i like them alot as long as they arent beat up bad! I love the 2nd gens! I have one right now but its exactly opposite of what i want! Its 96 2wd single cab auto 1500. I really really like the 98 2500 with the 12v. I would take a 98-02 2500 but rather the 98 12v. I also checked into the 3rd gen(03-05). I like them but i am not very fond of newer vehicles, i guess you can same im old school. After I get the truck, i plan on doing a little mods, about 5" lift and 35-37's; 4-5" exhaust to a 6" tip, maybe a programmer, and a chip. Im not an expert on these truck yet, so i need to know what im looking for. I know the common flaws of the 94-01/02 dodges, but thats about it. I am going to school for welding so i want the diesel for hauling, and because i just want a diesel. I want one that gets pretty decent mpg, but has the power i would need. ANY advice is appriciated! thank you! - lane

Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Mahathey

Im an fixing to graduate in May** so ill have a full time job here shortly **

Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well for starters: you're not going to be programming or chipping any 12v's

both first gen and second gen 12v motors are 100% mechanical injection. there are no computers controlling those engines, therefor nothing to "chip" or "program."

the 98.5-02 24v motors were the first to have computer controlled timing and injector duration. They are a bit of a hybrid though as they still use mechanical injection.

03-present went to the common rail injection system that is 100% computer controlled and electronic injection control.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Mahathey

like i said, not a master mechanic LOL! i learned something new today! Thanks! what would you advise me to get?

Old 03-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all good motors. just depends on what you want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice with buying a new truck