Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Advice on buying used CTD

Old 08-19-2014, 12:53 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying used CTD

Hey guys. Had a Ram 1500 with the Hemi for a while, but starting to develop a few problems. Been wanting a diesel, especially a CTD, because we get free diesel at work, and we idle in trucks a lot. Found a pretty good deal on one, and was wanting some advice about it. Things I need to look at/for when I go to check it out and drive it. It's a 2006 4x4, with the 5.9, and a little over 100k miles on the clock. Interior looks pretty clean, and looks like it's been taken care of, especially for being 8 years old and only having 100k on her. I've only owned one other diesel, and it was not a CTD, so don't have a lot of experience here. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:05 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Unfortunately that truck was sold before I could get to it. Now looking at a 2011 Laramie Crew Cab with 150k miles for $26k.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Anyone at all have ANY advice? The truck mentioned above is a crew cab laramie. http://www.swauto59.com/detail3.php?carID=4534

Old 08-23-2014, 01:26 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cummins says they're seeing fewer warranty claims than even the 12 valve, so apparently they've got it figured out.

We have an 11 on the lot, it's really nice.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:00 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Thanks for the reply. I REALLY like the 2011 Laramie Crew cab. However, they do not like my current truck. Working on trying to get it sold for enough money to pay off the rest of the lien. Which is still about 2 Grand less than the truck is worth. I should have bought a 2500 with Cummins to begin with.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:13 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What they offering for your truck? Just to give you an idea what you can expect, I just got $15,300 for my '04 Hemi 4x4. I think I could have done maybe a grand better, but I was looking at the ONLY leftover '14 within 150 miles of me that wasn't either a $62,000+ Longorn/Laramie or a stripped down Tradesman so I took the second offer I got, two days after I listed it, before somebody snatched up the '14 Big Horn I was looking at.

My sig pic is still my beloved old '04 1500.

BTW, I've only put just over 100 miles on it, but I'm lovin the CTD...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-23-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
What they offering for your truck? Just to give you an idea what you can expect, I just got $15,300 for my '04 Hemi 4x4. I think I could have done maybe a grand better, but I was looking at the ONLY leftover '14 within 150 miles of me that wasn't either a $62,000+ Longorn/Laramie or a stripped down Tradesman so I took the second offer I got, two days after I listed it, before somebody snatched up the '14 Big Horn I was looking at.

My sig pic is still my beloved old '04 1500.

BTW, I've only put just over 100 miles on it, but I'm lovin the CTD...
$5500 from the dealer. It has 180k miles on it. I'm afraid that if I wait to sell my truck privately that the truck I'm looking at will be gone. They had two on the lot identical and they already sold the other one. Did you sell your truck privately or trade it in?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaAckley
$5500 from the dealer. It has 180k miles on it. I'm afraid that if I wait to sell my truck privately that the truck I'm looking at will be gone. They had two on the lot identical and they already sold the other one. Did you sell your truck privately or trade it in?

Well mine was gonna fetch more because I've owned it since new, put about $8,000 in it, have a dyno report showing 340 HP/ 380 TQ at the rear wheels, the paint is perfect except for small surface scratches and it has 57,000 miles on it. Of all the work/parts I put in it, I only removed the winch and tool box.

I listed it for $17,000 on craig's list, got an offer for $16k, but ultimately traded it in three days after I listed it for fear of the new truck I wanted to buy being sold. At $15,300 from the dealer, I made out better than selling it for $16k private because of sales tax I'd have to pay. I'm sure if I kept it on craigs list for more than three days, I'd have gotten my asking price.

But yeah, they are beating you up a bit on the trade allowance (unless there is something wrong with your truck). I work in the industry, not car sales, but restoration, especially 50's and 60's Corvettes, so I pretty much know vehicle values. In good shape your truck should be bringing about $8000 clean and $6000 average condition.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-23-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I know this thread is a little old, but was wondering if you ended up buying from them? I'm looking at an '08 2500 CTD from that exact same dealership, but something just seems a little sketchy about it (the dealership, not the truck). My credit isn't great, so I'm having a hard time finding a place that will work with me, and they will.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:57 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

The dealership IS sketchy haha. Be careful and do your research. You can get the vin from auto trader. Call a dealer and get them to run the vin for you to make sure what they are saying the truck has, the truck actually has. I knew my truck had some stuff that would need to be fixed but it wasnt major. Like a power outlet needed to be replaced, windshield washer hose needed to be fixed, etc. The truck itself is great, and I don't regret buying it. I haven't had any mechanical issues. However, the truck was listed by the dealer, SW Auto as a Laramie. It's not. I figured that out before I bought it by having the dealer run the vin. It has laramie badges on it, carpet, nice black leather seats, leather steering wheel. But. .. its all aftermarket. Truck originally had vinyl floors, cloth seats and standard steering wheel. The "manager" joe, even acknowledged it wasn't a Laramie when I was negotiating a price. They also had a 2011 2500 they were saying was a Laramie that was actually an ST! I also found several discrepancies between the online listing and actual truck. Just be careful and do your research, inspect the truck from top to bottom, front to back and know what you are buying before you sign the paperwork. They also do not offer any warranties. Might be a great idea to get a carfax as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on buying used CTD