Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

03 cummings, temporary power loss, then goes again

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 AM
LAMOPAR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 cummings, temporary power loss, then goes again

I have an 03 Ram with the 5.9 cummings. I am pulling a 11,500 lbs trailer for our camping weekend. When I got to the endl of my driveway which is slightly up hill, stopped to look for traffic then started to go again and had no power. When I push on the pedal the RPMs come up a little but the truck won't move. I noticed the boost gage was zero. I shut the truck off and re-started and it worked perfect. I drove for ~an hour into Salem and was in stop and go traffic when it happened again. This time it was moving the truck but just barely. Maybe 5 to 10 MPH. I pushed the throttle all the way down and was just hoping to get through the next light. At some point it felt like a pop and the power was back and we were moving. I drove another hour pulling some pretty steep hills with no problem.

Truck has a Banks Automind and has had for years. I checked the air filter and it shows some dirt but nothing bad (k&N filter). It has been less than 10,000 miles since the last fuel filter change. Trans was flushed 17,000 miles ago and fluid is pink and smells fine.

I was not paying close attention but I believe the boost gage showed no boost in the driveway and recently twice I did notice the boost gage showing no boost when I was driving the truck with no load. Other than these two specific incidents the truck seems to be running fine, mileage is fine. Over the past year to year and half it does seem to have less power but that may just be the trailer and my mind. Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2014, 11:35 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Moved to diesel section for better response...

Old 08-31-2014, 02:13 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is a Cummings?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
What is a Cummings?
Bout to pose this question myself...