Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help with Exhaust gas temp sensor circuit low

Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it wouldn't be covered if damaged by something you hit...

that would be like crashing your truck into a post and expecting the warranty to cover the repairs..

if it failed because of a bad seal or premature wear out: warranty covers it...

If it failed because something you ran over hit it...not a fault of the parts manufacturing, but a fault of yours for causing physical damage to the vehicle. perhaps insurance would pick up that bill?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Capt T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor design

Originally Posted by Jigabop
it wouldn't be covered if damaged by something you hit...

that would be like crashing your truck into a post and expecting the warranty to cover the repairs..

if it failed because of a bad seal or premature wear out: warranty covers it...

If it failed because something you ran over hit it...not a fault of the parts manufacturing, but a fault of yours for causing physical damage to the vehicle. perhaps insurance would pick up that bill?
Jigabop,
What I'm saying is the design is the reason it failed. In fact, after talking to a mechanic who works at a Dodge dealership, not this one but a dealership located in "hunting territory", he told me that he's seen "countless" numbers of these probes being damaged after 4 wheel drive truck owners taking their trucks off road. If this is true why not redesign this probe to fit length-wise to avoid this type of damage after all this is a truck designed to go off-road, isn't it?? Dodge advertisements definitely show it to be a vehicle having off-road capabilities. Following your line of reasoning, if a vehicle was built with a poorly designed key and ignition switch, (think GM), the people who damaged their vehicles, or themselves, because the switched failed while they were driving it would be responsible for the damages. This is not as serious as that poor design but a poor design that leads to failure when a vehicle is being used under normal, this being an "off-road truck" and off-road usage being considered normal for this vehicle, is the responsibility of the manufacturer, at least that is what the courts have ruled in the past.
Jigabop, have you actually seen this probe and it's location?

By the way, the hunting spot I took this truck to is the same spot and I used the same 2 track I've used with 4 previous Dodge trucks in the past and never had any damage done. Of course none of those trucks had a probe sticking out of the exhaust.
I know Chrysler monitors this site and my hope is they will see this and take a look at redesigning this probe or possibly it's location. I love Dodge trucks and have owned 12 of them over the years, all 4 wheel drive. I only want to try and help them help themselves. Just saying, or should I say just hoping??
Thanks to all for their thoughts on this matter. Captain T at your service!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 PM
horatio102
Champion

The trucks are designed to go off-road, however they're not designed to smash through things.

Would you be saying the same thing if you went rock crawling and put a sharp rock through your fuel tank? Or smashed your window on a tree?

And don't think for one second that Ford and Chevy don't have similar issues with protruding sensors.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Capt T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I take it you have no idea where this sensor is located.

Originally Posted by horatio102
The trucks are designed to go off-road, however they're not designed to smash through things.

Would you be saying the same thing if you went rock crawling and put a sharp rock through your fuel tank? Or smashed your window on a tree?

And don't think for one second that Ford and Chevy don't have similar issues with protruding sensors.
I guess you missed my intention in the last pot so let me try again.
If a product has a poor design, like the keyed ignition switch used in the GM products that were poorly designed and caused accidents, it is the right, no it is actually the duty of the customer to complain so that poor design can be fixed. If we go down the path you suggest, we'd still be driving Model T's. After all they worked right? But people complained, ie I want it in a different color, it's hard to steer and voila Ford brought out cars in different colors and power steering, get it? Pointing out a shortfall in a design leads to change. Remember what the mechanic, at a Ram dealership said, "I've seen countless numbers of these probes damaged", I'm no Einstein but that tells me something is wrong with this design.
You never saw the location of this probe have you? You should really stick with things you have seen like "wndows and gas tanks". Just quick question, would you complain about a gas tank designed to hang down below the frame of an off-road truck that repeatedly incurred damage due to it's location? Oh never mind you've probably never seen the underside of a truck before.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:07 AM
horatio102
Champion

You make a lot of idiotic assumptions.

Plenty of people damage their exhaust sensors - because they stick out of a round tube and people drive over stuff they shouldn't.

Plenty of people break their front bumpers and air dams by grinding the front of their cars into curbs. I'm sure they complain about it, but it really comes down to driver error.

Look, there are all kinds of vulnerable items under your truck, drive over enough crap and you'll hit some of it eventually. It's not like the probes are hanging way down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with Exhaust gas temp sensor circuit low