Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Looking for some help with trouble codes P2563 and P245A

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:03 PM
flifisher
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking for some help with trouble codes P2563 and P245A

Hi guys,

I have a 2007, 2500 Mega Cab 4X4 with a 6.7 CTD with @ 36,000 miles. I am the original owner of the truck and usually only use it for towing. While towing my fifth wheel on a 4,000 mile road trip, the MIL came on and flashed P245A, EGR cooler bypass control open and P2563, Turbo boost control position sensor performance. After a few cycles of the ignition the MIL light went off and the codes are still on the computer. I have not noticed any issues with the turbo performance, after driving an additional 3,000 miles. Average MPG was 11.3.
Any ideas if this is an issue that need attention or simply clear the data?
Thanks for any info you can share.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:58 PM
flifisher
Amateur

Well dropped the truck off at the dealers to run a diagnostic test. As in other posts with similar turbo trouble codes, the dealer is cleaning the the soot out of the turbo or replace it if they can't get it to work properly. This is under my added care warranty. They aslo are cleaning the egr cooler lines as they were plugged with soot as well. This part, they say, is not covered as it was not caused by a failed component. I have been talking with Chrysler about the CA long term emission warranty (7 years - 70K miles) and the wording for egr system repair as worded in the warranty specification booklet. One hour and twenty minuets and four people later they finally told me that they could not help me and a case manager will call me next week to give me Chrysler's final word on the egr repair. They are saying the egr lines are a maintenance issue and I am saying that it's an emission complainant issue and a plugged line should be a failed part as the vehicle is failing the CA emissions standards. We'll see.....can only save @ $600.00 if I can get it covered........ 7 years old next month with 36,000 miles. Should not have these issues if it was designed properly to begin with.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:24 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the nature of the beast. You're routing soot through a cooler, stuff is going to build up. I agree, it shouldn't be an issue, but this is one of the reasons that people do the deletes.

Has your ecm been reflashed to the latest update?

The early trucks especially had issues if they weren't driven hard. Use the exhaust brake all the time or the vanes get stuck.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:34 PM
flifisher
Amateur

CA had a mandatory emc flash a few years ago, before the would register the vehicle. Can't do a delete in CA. Emission check every 2 years. The exhaust brake is on all of the time. Hard to believe the soot issue, the MIL came on the first 1,000 miles of 4,300 mile camping trip, pulling our 30' fifth wheel. Should have cleaned most of the soot out. Just hope this fix lasts a while, Love my Dodge!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM
flifisher
Amateur

Today the dealer called to inform me that the turbo cleaning did not work and that they would need to order and install a new turbo. Probably better off. I received a call from a Chrysler case manager and after 15 minutes of discussion They informed me that they considered the EGR system cleaning a maintenance issue and they is why they would not cover the cost. I agree that it is listed as a maintenance item at @ 67K, but I still think the cooler lines being plugged, created a failure of the EGR cooling system as did the plugged turbo, creating a failed turbo. Last steep is to file a grievance with the CA Air Pollution Control Board. I still expect that I will have to eat the costs, but being retired I have plenty of time to express my concerns.....................and I still love my Dodge!

Last edited by flifisher; 11-02-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I love issues that are 100% caused by tree hugger mandates!!!

The following users liked this post:
JGilmour2012 (01-04-2022)
Old 11-05-2014, 09:29 PM
flifisher
Amateur

Republic of California

If it was not for my grand kids, we would be in another state. Too many quirky laws and regulations all of the time. Hell, in the bay area, I think Berkeley, they just passed a soda tax. 1 cent per oz. Pretty soon we won't have the freedom to choose or else be taxed to death.

On another subject, It took Chrysler a week to approve my turbo replacement. The dealer has had my truck for two weeks now and I have been informed it would be another 1 to 2 more weeks before the work is done............................

Old 11-06-2014, 12:55 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get it back, make sure you run it hard, don't baby it. Keep those vanes moving, exhaust brake on all the time...

I deleted the EGR and exhaust bits on my 08, but ran it hard and never had any turbo problems.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:34 PM
flifisher
Amateur

Yeah, I guess I have to drive like I did when I was in my teens. Pedal to the metal....

Stopped by the dealer and saw my truck on the rack. It's been at the dealer for 3 weeks now. The service manger said that his only diesel mechanic was at training most of the week and that he should have the turbo on the truck, take it for it's test drive, reset faults, smog check and do my $49.00 oil/filter special, by next Wednesday. (Four weeks total)

Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 PM
flifisher
Amateur

Well, I finally have my truck back. The dealer had it for 29 days. The total for the work was $5,200.00. My out of pocket was $755 for the EGR cleaning and parts, $111 for the oil/filter change and smog check and the $100 deductible for the turbo replacement. Nice to see it parked in the driveway. Will drive it harder with the exhaust brake on!

Also, the dealer had a total of three codes that were displayed. P2563 - Turbo position sensor performance, P2262 - Turbo boost pressure not detected and P245A - EGR cooler bypass open.

Still love my Dodge!

Quick Reply: Looking for some help with trouble codes P2563 and P245A