Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7 Cummins: strange noise when letting off of the accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:26 PM
ADeanS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7 Cummins: strange noise when letting off of the accelerator

When I come over the top of a long hill and let off of the accelerator I hear a strange noise coming from the front. It's hard to describe, it sounds like a whiffle or a chatter or a cough. It's not associated with shifting gears because it happens even when I have the transmission locked into a gear. It's more pronounced when I'm pulling harder either a steep hill or I'm pulling a trailer. It's short in duration maybe less than a second and the only effect it has on the engine is a slight hesitation during the noise. It has me concerned though since this is my first diesel truck I'm not used to the new behaviors.

Last edited by ADeanS; 10-26-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 PM
ADeanS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot:
Truck: 2012 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins

Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADeanS
When I come over the top of a long hill and let off of the accelerator I hear a strange noise coming from the front. It's hard to describe, it sounds like a whiffle or a chatter or a cough. It's not associated with shifting gears because it happens even when I have the transmission locked into a gear. It's more pronounced when I'm pulling harder either a steep hill or I'm pulling a trailer. It's short in duration maybe less than a second and the only effect it has on the engine is a slight hesitation during the noise. It has me concerned though since this is my first diesel truck I'm not used to the new behaviors.
I forgot:
Truck: 2012 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins
ADeanS,

How long have you been noticing the noise? Is it something that has developed over time? Or has it always been present during those circumstances?

Have you had a chance to speak with your Dodge dealer?

Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI, you never really have the truck 'locked in a gear'. All you have the ability to do is to set a max gear limit. The truck is free to up and downshift all it wants under that max gear.

Even assuming it isn't shifting gears, is it possible that it is the torque converter locking up once the load on the engine lightens up? Under moderate to heavy load it won't be locked, but at highway speed and lower load it locks up.

ETA: Actually, my comments assumed a gas engine. Now I see you have a diesel. Not sure how your transmission behaves for sure...

Rob

Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

**Moved to Diesel section and edited the thread title**

...and Welcome to Dodge Forum !

Old 11-06-2014, 02:58 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only cresting hills? Is it compressor surge?

Quick Reply: 6.7 Cummins: strange noise when letting off of the accelerator