Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2003 Ram 3500 speedometer cruise and shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM
judehue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram 3500 speedometer cruise and shifting problems

Hey all,

I'm new to the diesel world but figured I'd try one. I love the truck which tows our backhoe like it's not there when everything is working right. I noticed right after buying it that the cruise doesn't work. In trying to fix that I plugged a disconnected vacuum line in that goes over and pulls on a diaphragm that is connected to the throttle linkage. Since doing this the speedometer started acting up bouncing anywhere from 0-120 and usually bouncing around the actual road speed. This causes the truck to shift all over the place and even stall in certain situations. This happens even with overdrive turned off. I replaced the speed sensor in the differential which didn't fix the problem so I then replaced the output speed sensor on the trans. The problem went away and the truck shifted great. This morning it was back to its old tricks or speedo bouncing and truck stalling. I've cleaned the three connectors on the dodge controller, key cycled and hard reset the controller to no avail. Has anyone seen this or have a good idea what to try next. Thanks for any help

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram 3500 speedometer cruise and shifting problems