Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Engine stutter and white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:43 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine stutter and white smoke

Hey everyone

Just seeing if anyone has seen anything similar to what I am experiencing. I have a 2011 2500 6.7L with about 28k miles on it. The last two times that I have gone on a road trip, as I pull out onto the highway and begin to accelerate, the pickup begins to stutter (like an old gas engine when you left the choke on). So I have accelerated harder and it blows a cloud of white smoke and clears right up.

This is after the pickup has sat in the garage for a week or more between driving and has only happened after taking off. Does fine during the roadtrip.

I talked to a guy and he thought that the EGR cooler could possibly be leaking. I changed the fuel filters about 2000 miles ago and had a few runs afterwards so doesn't seem like thats related.

Any ideas? I'm going to go check my coolant level when I get off of work to see where thats at.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 PM
horatio102
Champion

Was the guy a Ford guy? I haven't seen too many Cummins with EGR cooler leaks. Usually they just clog up.

Do you run it hard? Lots of stop and go? When you drive it, do you get it up to full operating temp, or short trips?

Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran

No both times the pickup for 10+ minutes before we left and we are rural so its out to the highway and down the road.

Quick Reply: Engine stutter and white smoke