Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust and 30" FTE resonator - excellent!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 08:57 PM
khnitz
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust and 30" FTE resonator - excellent!

I bought our '05 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins with 98k miles on it from a good friend. The tailpipe was rotting, and I decided I only wanted to do the exhaust once, so I ordered an MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust with their muffler. My goals were three-fold - better flow-through to hopefully improve fuel economy, no DOC to clog in the future, and stainless steel so I wouldn't have to replace it down the road.

The installation went straightforward. But, once the MBRP system was in it was too loud for my, and my wife's, tastes. We camp in a state park a few times a year, and we really didn't want to be an annoyance when idling through the campground, either.

So I did some online research and decided to try the FTE resonator to see if that would quiet things down. Since I was going for maximum noise reduction, I decided to order the 30" version (instead of the shorter 17" version), and in stainless, as well.

It was installed this afternoon, and the difference was immediately noticed and appreciated by my wife. I would say the exhaust, besides being quieter, has a much lower-frequency primary tone, too. As others have remarked, now I only really hear the exhaust at the tailpipe, and the noise from the motor in the engine compartment is the more noticeable feature (can't get away from that one and still have a diesel, though ).

So, here's what's installed now to get this result. MBRP turbo-back 4" exhaust, including: MBRP downpipe, FTE 30" resonator, shortened MBRP short intermediate pipe, MBRP muffler, MBRP tailpipe, and MBRP polished tailpipe tip. The long intermediate pipe from MBRP was removed and is not needed with this setup, now.

Quick Reply: MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust and 30" FTE resonator - excellent!