Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2002 Cummins battery issue!! HELP!

Old 07-18-2015, 01:12 PM
kmbaseball7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Cummins battery issue!! HELP!

Have a 2002 Dodge 2500 24v cummins. Lately its been rough starting. I turn the key and everything is normal, the wait to start light goes off quick like usual and it dings and everything, then after I start it, I get the check Gauges light and the dash basically restarts as if i turned the key to start it again... the lights all come on and it does its 10 dings or so and the lights shut off, just like if you were to be waiting to start. Its a very sluggish start up and to me seems like battery voltage issues but idk... checked the connections to batteries and they are all good, replaced the main cables about a month ago... once it starts it runs fine, Im worried one of these times it wont be able to start... one thread i read said it could be the intake manifold heater but some part of me doesnt think that would be the problem... on average here this time of year the temperatures stay around 75+ degrees... my edge display reads 13.9v after startup while its running. Also i have had these trouble codes for awhile, dont know if that has annything to do with it... p0122 (Throttle position sensor circuit low) P0382 (glow plug circuit 2) *replaced that glow plug cable already hasn't been a problem ever* P1693 (fault in companion module)... I also checked the air fliter and it was super clogged, so i cleaned it really good and it made no difference. Need some help with this one... any suggestions?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:38 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Starter issue

Old 07-29-2015, 07:11 PM
kmbaseball7

So I hooked it up to the code reader and it drew the same codes that my chip was reading... they all lined up to the P0382 code for glow plug circuit... turns out the relay for the intake manifold grid heater was bad. Cost me about $70 and it starts and runs like a champ now. Also the other trouble codes that the chip read are now gone because they were being caused buy that relay code. Also I did notice that there was some hidden corosion on the cords to the relay so i cleaned that as well and completely recleaned my battery cables and boom its back to normal.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:45 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Good for you...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Cummins battery issue!! HELP!