Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Regretz99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing issue

Hi : 2002 ram 2500 diesel everything runs and works fine until I tow my trailer (which is fairly heavy) I get a shuttering when I try to maintain speed when climbing a hill,not sure if it's from engine or transmission , when it happens I have to back off and baby it up the hill,this only happens under these circumstances .Note trk has some up grades KnN air , larger exhaust , and cortex chip programs .I suspect maybe torque converter but want to check other avenues first .Thks for any guidance

Old 03-20-2016, 08:55 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Sounds like torque converter shutter. Last trans service. Any codes? What tune do you run when towing? Are you running a higher volume lift pump?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Rodney Stokes

OK, I got ride of a 2003 Ford F250 PSD. I had the Banks 6 gun tuner. When towing I could not use the tuner except in the stock setting. If possible, remove the Cortex chip and see if it still does it.
I also had a bigger exhaust, K&N, turbo upgrade, chip, and more. My turbo would shutter while towing and going up hill. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Towing issue