Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1999 2500 5.9 accelerator issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 PM
jmccormick1683
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 2500 5.9 accelerator issue

Ok, anyone with info is up for a reward. My 2500 has 215k miles and in November started having a intermittent issue with a very touchy accelerator. The truck runs idles very smooth, runs horrible until about 2300 RPM then runs like a dream until you let of the pedal even slightly. Shutting the truck off and restarting it would solve the issue for a while. Then we had to disconnect the battery to "fix" it. Now it does it constantly. APPS tested normal for all 6 contacts and no check engine light has ever come on. Batteries and charging system tested ok but there is draw which has no pattern. The truck will sit for a week and start great then two days later dead as a doornail. The "wait to start" light has a bit of a delay now which it didn't in the beginning. This truck has no mods and has been very reliable until now. I have heard the a boost sensor can trigger no code but cause the motor to perform poorly. My mechanic believes he has narrowed it down to the pcm but $800 is quite the guess investment. Has anyone come across this problem and seen it through to the fix? I am serious about the reward, we need our truck right now. Thank you.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:10 AM
Barney Roca
Default Ecu, pcm after market computer

there are companies that you can send the computer too and they will either test it for $90 or rebuild it for $150. I am not sure that will address the problem you have but if you in fact need a computer there are after market parts that are very reasonable. There are rumors around the internet these engines like to burn up computers. Good luck

Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 AM
jmccormick1683

Tried that and two different companies flashed them incorrectly. Another sent me a bad ECM. Finally ponied up and bought one from Cummins, dealer flashed it and it was done in 24 hours. This after three months of smaller shops diagnosing and then changing their diagnosis. New ECM is working and the truck runs better than ever.

Symptoms- No wait to start light, very touch accelerator but idles normal, no wipers, no acceleration when pressing on pedal.