Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins - fuel/water separator

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 02:26 PM
SandiR2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins - fuel/water separator

We just purchased a 2004 Ram 2500 Cummins with 10,500 miles. I have not yet asked the dealer this question because I did not think of it while I was there the other day. I've been trying to figure out how to drain the fuel/water separator. I'm not even sure I found the fuel pump, to be honest. The owner's manual has a picture, but it doesn't look exactly like what I see, and it has no other components in the picture that I can compare in relation to the position.

Can someone guide me as to where this is and how to do it? Pictures would be great also if possible.

Also, I'm in Central Florida -- not much cold weather, but it does get down to the low 30s a few times in the winter. How often should I be checking for water? The 2004 does have a warning light. Is it reliable? I'd hate to not check it and then come to find the light is not working properly.

This is our first diesel, and my husband and I will be learning as we go. Thanks for any help you can provide! I already found out that the squealing noise when the engine is turned off is normal, thanks to ya'll. The 2004 manual doesn't mention it at all, at least not that I found.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins - fuel/water separator

unless you truly suspect having water in your tank then I wouldnt worry about draining the fuel filter, however there is a yellow **** at the bottom of the fuel filter canister that is on the drivers side of the engine. just flip that thing around and it will drain the fuel filter. just make sure you close it before you go to prime the engine.

if you were to change the filter yourself it takes a 1-1/8 socket or a large crecent wrench will also do the trick. pull the lid off and the filter comes with it, pull the filter off put the new one on and make sure you replace the o-ring and apply some clean engine oil or diesel to it for a good seal, before you put the filter back in make sure the canister is clean, a clean cloth can be used to wipe out the inside of the canister, then screw the cap back on but dont tighten it too much or you'll crack it since it is plastic.

to prime the engine back first make sure the drain valve is closed, then turn the key to run, but dont start, you will hear the lift pump running, after the pump quits running turn the key quickly to start then let go, dont let the engine start, all your wanting to do is make sure the canister is full of fuel. this is called bumping the engine. do this again and wait for the lift pump to turn off then go for a full start. if you did it right the engine will start right away.

personaly I try to check for water every 5K miles since I mainly get my fuel from high volume supliers, less of a chance of crud and water. you would be amazed what collects at the bottom of a fuel stations diesel tank[:'(] I have never had water in my tank.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 AM
SandiR2

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to have a pan or something underneath to drain the fuel/water into? It turns out I was looking at the right part -- I just wasn't sure how to go about doing it all. I'm assuming I need to set something on the ground underneath the drain tube to catch it, otherwise I won't know what is coming out (dirt, water, clean fuel, etc.) of it. Right?

Thanks again,
Sandi

Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Drew
Professional

I found that a two foot piece of 5/8 ID hose from home depot when slipped over the end of the tube that is comeing off the downspout of the fuel water seperator works wonders for draining it into an old tupperware container.

the current possition of the tube is a bit high and this will put it closer to the ground.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:43 PM
SandiR2

That sounds like a good idea. Sorry to be ignorant, but do I crawl underneath the truck to connect the additional tubing whenever I am going to drain it? I see the clear tube running out of the filter, but I did not crawl underneath to see where it ends.

I appreciate all your advice. I'm so glad to have found this forum. You guys are great.

Sandi

Old 11-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Drew
Professional

it will end right near the drivers side wheel and it is easier to crawl under to connect it.

since I have a 4x4 if I didnt use this tubeing the fuel would drench the front diff[:'(]

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins - fuel/water separator