Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Clarification on air intake kits...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:32 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Clarification on air intake kits...

someone said I convinced them thru a post that air intake kits will cause you to loose approx 1.0 mpg. It occured to me this morning that they may have not had all the info on what's what with the intakes...

MY intake, the AFE Stage 2 with the pro guard filter looses 1.0 mpg. It has a massive filter on it which opens it up so much that there is little effort drawing in air. the boost builds in the blink of an eye when compared to the stock intake. I believe this quickness in addition to the open intake causes the drop in mileage. when there's boost, there's fuel, when there's no backpressure, theres a drop in torque, low torque, low mpg.

I think that the other intake kits out there with a smaller intake filter will perform similarly to mine but not to that extreme. My experiences are with the big filter vs the stock filter and the K&N kit with it's stock cone filter vs a larger filter on my 2000 gasser.

anyway's thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone is on the fence with regards to an intake kit...

Old 09-09-2006, 04:14 PM
RustProofCorn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clarification on air intake kits...

i havent even figured out what the heck a intake will even do for you.. which is why i havent purchased one...

Old 09-09-2006, 04:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

it'll make your top end breath easier and will lower your egt's under load. it will also make your egt's drop quicker when you go to shut it down.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

it'll make your top end breath easier and will lower your egt's under load. it will also make your egt's drop quicker when you go to shut it down.
Plus most of the time you get a really awesome sticker to put in the back window or on your tool box. LOL.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:25 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

I experienced the same thing so I am in complete agreement with Steve00. Open either end too much (intake or exhuast) and you lose bottm end and mpg.

I put on a 5" turbo back exhuast and lost some low end. MPG's werte still good. Put on an AEM brute force and the truck lost everything. No low end, no torque,and dropped 3-4 mpg. Took off the AEM and put the stock box back on, added a drop in K&N and she woke back up and the MPG's came back.

If your looking at adding more air I say just go with a dfrop in. Yopu can feel the dif. and its about half the price of even the cheapest intake kits. IMO.

I am planning on replaciing the K&N with the OEM Progaurd drop in next week only becouse of the better filtration. I'm the only one in my group with CTD so if anyones interested, you pay the shipping and its yours. Its got about 4K on it. (Mines an '06, I think it fits '03-'06? Could be wrong so check for fit)

I am toying with the idea of going back to a 4" (dual) exhuast, or then again I may just do the tranny upgrade (valve body & converter) to put more of the lost power (through the drive train) to the road. [sm=gears.gif]

Old 09-10-2006, 05:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I've heard from others that the 5" setup is way too big for a stock turbo'd motor... they also lost so much low end torque that the old VW bugs were beating them off the line.

Since putting my AFE back on and having some driving time with it w/o a bump from the edge it once again lost some low end torque (open exhaust), however the torque in the 1500~2500 range is DEFINITELY better with the ATS on. the drop in mpg sucks though (I can still tell it's dropped) and I may have 1 or 2 tanks to compare against, I'll have to check when I get to work tomorrow...

Old 09-10-2006, 11:54 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you cant free hp and gain mpg. So if you guys are loosing 1mpg, it means you got that gain you were looking for. Hey, I want an AFE kit, but i cant seem to find a pick for my engine, are they any good?

Quick Reply: Clarification on air intake kits...