Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

oil change interval!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil change interval!!!

As I see it the problem is that not every body drives there truck long enough to get it up to operating temps to burn off the fuel and other things that gets in to the oil. A lot of stop and go driving along with long idle times is not good for the oil. Also those who don’t drive it for at least 10 miles minimum to get the oil hot cause the oil to break down faster and there for it needs to be change it out at less than 7500 miles and not the 7500+ that the oil is good for. Too many people drive for .5 to5 miles and this will not get their CTD up to full operating temps wonder why their engines have so many oil related problems.

This reminds me of what I heard one man ask the SM, why was it not good for his new CTD to be driven 1 mile to work and 1 mile back home verse letting it sit until needed. It’s all of the uninformed people that the dealerships like to visit them so that they can make good $$. In fact I think all dealerships think that 99% of all people are uninformed so that they can say and do as they please when it comes to work being performed on the vehicle, even more so when it’s about warranty work.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:21 PM
KENSRAM2500

DBLR,

Well said my friend, you explained 99% of what severe driving conditions are! In summary severe conditions are short trips less than 10 miles, stop and go driving, frequent towing/hauling heavy loads or driving in dusty conditions. Under these conditions your oil needs to be changed more frequently unless you use an oil analysis service and it comes back good. As everyone knows, synthetics hold up better than petroleum base oils. It is no secret that all major Airlines, Race cars, trucks, bikes, and even the gas turbine engines in Naval ships use synthetics. Why you ask? Because they do not break down as quickly as petroleum based oils when put under extreme pressure and heat. They also have a variety of additives to control acids from combustion blow by and EGR, control soot thickening, oxidation and engine wear. So while an oil change using petroleum base oil may be cheaper, it WILL NOT protect your engine like a good synthetic oil. I use AMSOIL because of it's high TBN(Total Base Number) of 12. and extended drain intervals. With AMSOIL you can go 15,000 under severe conditions as long as you use their filter which is among the best on the market.

Ken

Old 11-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: KENSRAM2500

It is no secret that all major Airlines, Race cars, trucks, bikes, and even the gas turbine engines in Naval ships use synthetics.

I didn't know that ...

Quick Reply: oil change interval!!!