Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AERO TURBINE Installed! Here's the review...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:48 AM
RedRacer44
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AERO TURBINE Installed! Here's the review...

Well, I got the Aero Turbine installed last thursday and have put a few days driving on it. A local muffler shop actually kept the muffler in stock and had installed lots of them on other CTDs. They cut the cat n' stock muffler off and installed the muffler towards the front of the vehilce like a foot or so from where the down-pipe comes down off the turbo. He said that Aero instructed him to install them there for superior performance and MPG, but who knows.

First impressions was I liked the sound but a bit too loud at first but I've gotten used to it now and REALLY love it now. I find that I had a heavy foot for about a 1/4 tank of diesel cuz I wanted to hear my CTD really rip! Its actually pretty quiet at normal driving levels in town (25-45 MPH) and at cruising speed (65-70 MPH). There isnt that distinct "drone" until about 80 MPH and even then its not too bad.

As far as performance, the turbo spools up it seems instantly now which really improved drive-ability...especially with in-town driving. Under hard acceleration, the bottom end power seemed to be a little better actually with really no gain at the mid-range but it really rips on acceleration from 65-100 MPH. Overall, the power seemed a lot smoother with the exhaust working in conjunction with my other mods which is really nice. Before the exhaust, the Edge made the power to have somewhat of a "light-switch" feeling, now with the exhaust its just a steady HARD pull

As far as mileage goes, no gains there sadly which is what I was really hoping for. The guy at the muffler shop was preaching to me about how I was going to be getting 20 MPG after the installation but I was very skeptical. Oh well....

Overall....I'm VERY happy with the AERO. Beats the crap outta spending $400-$800 on an exhaust system just to get the same performance I'm getting out of the AERO. I recommend it to anyone with CTD....great product!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: AERO TURBINE Installed! Here's the review...

Great review Red !!

Glad to hear that you're happy with it.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:59 AM
jakebrake
Champion

is there a link to their site anywhere? I wanna findout if they make a 5er

Old 11-22-2006, 02:14 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Here ya go buddy ...

The Aero Turbine XL 5050XL is a Resonated 5" i.d. inlet, 5" i.d. outlet. The 5050XL was designed specifically for Diesel Trucks, Semi-Trucks and Motorhomes. The Aero Turbine XL Series 5050L Muffler is composed of high quality 304 stainless steel, embossed with the Aero Turbine XL signature logo and polished to a mirror finish. Inside is a high temperature ceramic acoustic material followed by the patented air foil providing the deep throaty tone that any diesel owner will love.

The Aero Turbine XL 5050XL is the latest breakthrough in diesel performance exhaust technology. Designed for high output diesel engines ensuring that your performance diesel truck, motorhome, or semi will perform more efficiently.

With a built-in resonator and patented air foil cone, the Aero Turbine XL 5050XL will not only increase fuel mileage, but significantly improve your horsepower and torque while decreasing noise and exhaust gas temperature.

$289.00

http://www.aeroexhaust.com/aero_turbine_xl_5050xl.html

Old 11-22-2006, 02:17 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I think I have found my excuse to go to 5" exhaust now

Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Mayfair
Legend

And STACKS ?!?!?

Old 11-22-2006, 02:25 AM
jakebrake
Champion

no stacks, I hual flamables in the bed pretty often. Plus I don't want to cut a 5" hole in my bed

Old 11-23-2006, 12:57 AM
usafr
All Star

RedRacer,,

did u leave the cat on or remove it. I removed it from mine and the sound is awesome.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:21 AM
RedRacer44
Rookie

I removed the cat also....

Old 11-24-2006, 03:56 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 223 Likes on 208 Posts

great review... however with a lead foot, your not going to see any mpg change... if anything it'll go down. I just posted a new thread on a mpg test I did to compare against... IF YOU CAN keep your foot out of it, you may see a difference in mileage.

I was going from a straight thru (no cat) 30" magnaflow to adding the aero where the cat used to be. w/o the aero I lost alot of low end torque and a good chunck of mileage to go along with it. since adding the aero, alot of the low end has come back and I gained back about 1.0~1.25 mpg. the 18.7 mpg I posted is the HIGHEST my truck has ever gotten with me behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: AERO TURBINE Installed! Here's the review...