Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'06 AT Trans Problem

Old 12-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Jeeptug
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 AT Trans Problem

Greetings,

I'm having a problem with the Trans in my '06, if I had to guess I'd say the pump is out but maybe there's a computer control issue(?)

Symptoms: After starting, all is fine, tranny shifts in to gear and upshifts fine on the road. After a very short period of time (1/2 mile or so) trans starts slipping, as if it's low on fluid. Eventually, it will not move at all. When this happens...put in park, turn the motor off, wait a minute or two, re-start and all is fine but then then cycle starts over again. Fluid is over the full mark (engine idle, trans in nuetral). This leads me to believe that the torque converter is loosing fluid, when in park with the engine off maybe it re-fills(?)

I'm sure this will be an issue for the dealer but the local (small) DC dealer can't get me in 'till 12/11, as their one and only tranny guy is gone 'til then. Nice. I'll have to wait but I'm quite anxious about what could be wrong. It does have a Bank's converter installed when the truck only had a couple of hundred miles on it (has 15k now). Otherwise stock. Did pull a 8k 5th wheel over the t-giving holiday with no problems.

thanks!
Walt
2006 Quad 4x4 CTD

Old 12-01-2006, 08:41 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: '06 AT Trans Problem

FYI, before you take it in to the dealership you best take off any and all after market parts you have on your truck or you may find out the hard way why we say to do so.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Jeeptug

All I've got is a Bank's exhaust and a K&N Filter, in addition to the Banks Torque Converter. The TC will be a little hard to remove beforehand.....

Old 12-02-2006, 03:16 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Did they open up the trans for any reason? if so then DC can say you had someone screw around with it and say tuff and make you pay for it. It all comes down to how the dealer working on it feels about what you have done to your truck as to whether or not they will try to make you pay for any thing they do find wrong.

This is one reason why I will leave mine stock until my 7/100,000 warranty is over so they will have no reason to try and void my warranty. Some dealers are OK with any changes but many will try to void your warranty for any stupid reason they can find. The reason is that they get more $$ from us then Dodge for the same work.

Good Luck

Old 12-02-2006, 04:45 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Walt,

Are you sure the Banks TC is not the problem? I have a bone stock 48RE tranny and I don't have any problems. I am a feeling if you bring you truck to the dealer and they see an aftermarket TC with the problems you are describing, they will say tough luck.

I would call Banks and see what they say.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Jeeptug

I would call Banks and see what they say.
Agree, I think I'll do that first. My biggest fear is that DC wont warranty the trans if they see the converter...which of course they will when they remove the inspection cover. I'm hoping that it's a computer glich, but that would be a slim chance. One thing I'm wondering, I have a steep uphill driveway and I park nose-up, when this problem started I did hear a strange noise while it was idling and warming up (20deg morning). I'm thinking now that the noise I heard was the trans pump, either going dry or otherwise not working.

Walt

Old 12-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Jeeptug

Anyone have a stock '06 converter laying around?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '06 AT Trans Problem