Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ram Mega Cab

Old 12-24-2006, 02:14 PM
97stakebodyram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Mega Cab

Anybody know if Dodge is going to get serious about the Mega Cab and offer a 8' bed option. Ford really has the market in full 4-door long bed trucks.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:38 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Default RE: Ram Mega Cab

Well since the mega cab is already on the 8ft bed chasis wouldnt adding an extra 2 feet make it illegal. Also, the mega cabs are hard enough to park now, add 2 more feet and you might as well bring a scooter with you to get to the store you were trying to park at.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09

the mega cabs are hard enough to park now
How are they any harder to park than the quad cab's with the 8' beds?

Old 12-26-2006, 03:43 PM
ctown75

i dont think it would be as illegail as it would be impractical. that is one long, heavy truck. fords crew cabs arent near as big as the quad cab.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:03 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

How are they any harder to park than the quad cab's with the 8' beds?
Mayfair, Take my word that the longer the wheelbase is the harder it is to turn corners and also to park it in a very small and tight parking space. Of course once your use to it, it is easier to park it but it’s still a pain in the butt to do in many parking lots that are made for small cars and pickup trucks. Have you not ever noticed many big 4x4 long bed trucks park in 2 parking spots as it’s the only way they can get back out of the spot with out hitting the cars parked next to and or in the row behind them. I’ve had this problem in some parking lots in my 4x4 QC short box and would have a harder time if it were two feet longer.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:40 PM
97stakebodyram

I havent had the chance to drive a mega cab. Ive driven a friend ford 3500 crew cab with a 6.5' bed , it was easy to park and lots of room inside

Old 12-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

Driving the Megacab is no big deal. I traded a Neon in on it so I know what im talking about. Also everyone I let drive it cant believe how much it drives like a car. Just let my brother drive it this weekend and he said he likes it alot and he couldnt believe how fast it was, he drives a Chevy gas motor ...

Old 12-26-2006, 11:27 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09

Well since the mega cab is already on the 8ft bed chasis wouldnt adding an extra 2 feet make it illegal. Also, the mega cabs are hard enough to park now, add 2 more feet and you might as well bring a scooter with you to get to the store you were trying to park at.
The mega cab is the same wheel base as the quad cab 8' box. The Ford crew cab 8' box is longer and much harder to park. I know I traded one in on this truck. I had to compromise interior space for the 8' box. If the mega cabs were available with the 8' box I would have gone that way. It can be done, but Dodge doesn't want to invest in the design and manufacturing of the longer frame and running gear.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:48 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

I know that the mega cab and the QC with 8ft bed are the same length.A megacab with a 8ftwould be like having a 10 ft bed on a quad cab. Just think of trying to park that. The truck is easy to drive, it is just hard enough to find parking spots now. Add 2 feet to that and you would have to take up 2 spots to prevent the truck from sticking out in the road way. When i said mega cabs are hard to park now, i was refering to a truck on that chasis, so the 8ft QC and the mega. Next time i will spell it out for everyone.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Mayfair, Take my word that the longer the wheelbase is the harder it is to turn corners and also to park it in a very small and tight parking space.
Yeah, I understand that, but I just though that the Mega and the Quad were both using the same frame and thus would have the same wheelbase.

Before I ad this Ram, I had a 96 Ford ( I forget wht they call it ) but it had a back seat but no doors. Crew cab ??

Anyway ...

The wheelbase on that thing was pretty big. I remember reading in the manual that you needed 45 feet to make a u-turn. When I got inside this Ram it felt like I was driving a Mini Cooper. The thing turns on the dime !!

LOL !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Mega Cab