Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Why does it do this

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does it do this

The past 2 days when I go to start my truck as soon as it starts it wants to jump right to 1200 RPM’s and not its normal 800-RPM’s. BTW it has never done this before until yesterday afternoon after sitting only 1.5 days. I have started this thing after sitting any where from 3 days up to a week with out being started when the over night temps were down to -4 below zero and yet the past 2 days it has been between 4-8 above zero and it jumps right to 1200 when started. My only change I have made in the past 3 months is that I have now added 2-cycle oil to this tank of fuel.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:18 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Default RE: Why does it do this

Kinda sounds like the High Idle is kicking on. Not sure why it would be intermittant. My High idle has been kicking on the last couple of days when the temps drop to 25. I would start the truck (after waiting for the gauges to go out) and the idle would be right around 750. Then after a minute or two of idle the truck would jump to 1100 rpms until I placed the truck in gear and start to drive away.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 PM
sharx ram
Champion

You got me there...this morning is the first and only time I have had that happen in a year.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Dodge This
Professional

Mine goes into high idle every now and then, only when its really cold.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:15 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

My automatic high idle usually waits for about two minutes before kicking in, but a couple of times when it was down to about 20 degrees it went straight to 1000 RPM upon starting. Some guys on another site said theirs do the same thing. It doesn't get much colder then that here to often, so I have not ever seen it go to 1200, unless I activate the manual high idle.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 AM
Buckwheat
Rookie

My truck has also bumped up the idle the last few daysright after Istart it in the mourning. The temps have dropped to the teensthe last few mournings up here in Oregon. Kinda nice I haven't had to inable the cruise control high speed idle

Old 01-16-2007, 05:25 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I asked the same question about mine before I looked at the owners manual. It's hidden in there, but it is stated about the engine idling up to aid in warm up during cold weather.

We've been getting down well below zero the past few nights and when I leave work, mine immediately goes to 1000 rpm's upon starting. It's so cold here even the higher idle doesn't help with the warmup. I have to get it moving on down the road to keep from freezing my hiney!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Yes I know it will do this when cold ( has not do so before when it was at colder temps) but I don't think it should jump right to 1200 rpm's on a cold engine or before the oil can get to full flow. Heck many still use heavy duty 15w40 and it takes time for that heavy stuff to reach the top end when its 8 above zero to lube, so I don't really think it should do it so soon. Guess I'm glad I switched to 5w40 oil so at least it can flow much faster then the 15w40 that was in it this fall.