Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Howto Stop Back Up Horn!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:48 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howto Stop Back Up Horn!!!!

[sm=icon_rock.gif]Ok I said I was going to do this as soon as the scanner at work was fixed. The scanner is fixed so here is the $10 fix to annoying back horn.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a truck that has this problem and have not tried this on any truck. This assumes normal wiring (2 wires to horn, 2 wires on switches, etc.). I do not know if this actually works, it was just an idea I had based on how my truck is wired. If you try it and it does not work, you have been warned so no snivelling![sm=boohoo.gif]

If you try this and it works or need to modify it to work, please post the results here so everyone else will know what to do. If I had a later model truck, I'd try it on my vehicle, but this problem does not exist on the 01 CTD.

Here is how it works. When the reverse light comes on it closes the relay so that no juice goes to the horn. The only problem is that the horn does not work at all when the truck is in reverse. So the second option shows how to disable the juice to the horn while backing up, but if you push on the horn switch on the steering wheel you still get a horn, although the automatic honking horn is disabled.

All you need is a little wire and a DPST relay that you can get at radio Shack or the elctrical section of your favorite autoparts store.

Hope you can read my hand writting.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23352/28B0B3AB4F4747CD88F129A3C19FD4DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23352/EFC4054889444D01BF42A6D20ECD5F19.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
vsound
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Howto Stop Back Up Horn!!!!

That was basically the idea I had, except that if I have to do it, I am going to wire up the relay to the driver's side door sensor instead of the reverse light.

I am still trying to fight with DC over it. I have requested a meeting with the DC regional rep. Dunno if that will have any better results than previous, but worth a shot. If that doesn't work, then it's a relay for me.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

[sm=icon_rock.gif]Ok I said I was going to do this as soon as the scanner at work was fixed. The scanner is fixed so here is the $10 fix to annoying back horn.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a truck that has this problem and have not tried this on any truck. This assumes normal wiring (2 wires to horn, 2 wires on switches, etc.). I do not know if this actually works, it was just an idea I had based on how my truck is wired. If you try it and it does not work, you have been warned so no snivelling![sm=boohoo.gif]

If you try this and it works or need to modify it to work, please post the results here so everyone else will know what to do. If I had a later model truck, I'd try it on my vehicle, but this problem does not exist on the 01 CTD.

Here is how it works. When the reverse light comes on it closes the relay so that no juice goes to the horn. The only problem is that the horn does not work at all when the truck is in reverse. So the second option shows how to disable the juice to the horn while backing up, but if you push on the horn switch on the steering wheel you still get a horn, although the automatic honking horn is disabled.

All you need is a little wire and a DPST relay that you can get at radio Shack or the elctrical section of your favorite autoparts store.

Hope you can read my hand writting.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23352/28B0B3AB4F4747CD88F129A3C19FD4DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23352/EFC4054889444D01BF42A6D20ECD5F19.jpg[/IMG]
This should work, it will flash the two 1156 bulbs instead of honking the horn in reverse.
The reason for the bulbs is to make the computor think the horn are still conected so you don't get a open circut code.
The horns have two separate circuts one for each horn.
Read disclaimer above.
This is based on 06 wirring.

[IMG]local://upfiles/56817/21244690E32C4E8C9D8B441B8C300C07.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: vsound

That was basically the idea I had, except that if I have to do it, I am going to wire up the relay to the driver's side door sensor instead of the reverse light.

I am still trying to fight with DC over it. I have requested a meeting with the DC regional rep. Dunno if that will have any better results than previous, but worth a shot. If that doesn't work, then it's a relay for me.

The interior light are fade on / off I would not use the door sensor.

Quick Reply: Howto Stop Back Up Horn!!!!