Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

bypass hoise/water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
racerseks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypass hoise/water pump question

Okay.....changing my water pump, and due to the ecessive corrosion, I'm replacing alot of the cooling system parts. When replacing the bypass hose, there are two fittings that the hose clamps down to.....one on the water pump, and one on the intake manifold. The water pump came with a new one.....while I'm at it, I want to replace the corroded one on the intake. Any tips on how to get this off? I've been trying PB Blaster with vise grips, but it's a tight squeeze and hasn't budged yet. Is there a special tool to remove these?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
racerseks
Default RE: bypass hoise/water pump question

PS.....this is on a 3.9 V6.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: bypass hose/water pump question

Is it the clamp or the hose that you can't get off?

If it's the clamp, just jam a screwdriver under it and then snip it with tinsnips.
If it's the hose, slice it the long way with a razor knife, then work a screwdriver under and aroundit to aid in peeling it off.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
chubyboy

i believe he is talking abou tgetting the fitting out...BTW, just swap in a 318 man...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oooooooooooooh.Those are atapered pipe thread and are a real bear to get out.
I had one so tight once that I had to use a punch to remove it. I placed the punch on the fitting right next to the manifold and banged away on it until it started to indent/collapse. I kept at it and worked my way inward as much as possible. If you can get it to indent enough, the diameter of the fitting will start to decrease allowing it to lose it's grip in the threads and come out.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:53 PM
racerseks

Yes, that's right.....it's the actual threading. Looks like a piece of pipe with two notches in it. Wondering what those notches are for? Thought maybe they were there for a tool to remove the fitting.

Thanks for the tip. Ugh, I hate having to destroy parts to get them out.....scary if ya wind up haing to leave it in. May have to go that way, so I appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

The notches are for when they assembled it at the factory. THEY have a special tool that fits over it and locks into the notches so the tool doesn't lose it's grip and spin around the fitting while tightening.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 AM
racerseks

I see.....can I get one anywhere? What does everyone else use?

Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:11 AM
IGadget
Professional

If it is a threaded pipe, then first I'd find out how much a replacment is , and then try to take it off.. If you goto a plumbing supply placeor a very well equiped hardware store and get a real pipe wrench, that should do the trick.

The way a real pipe wrench has its head set allows the force of the turning to tighten down on whatever you are trying to take out. They behave like a ratchet, but unlike a ratchet, they tear up whatever you are useing them on preaty well. I've used them to take out things that visegrips wont even stay on. The other nice thing is they were basicly designed to have a lenght of pipe rammed over the handle for better leverage, even though some already come with 2' long handles

You probably don't want one this large though.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:17 AM
racerseks

I actually have the replacement fitting.....just can't get the old one off.

The pipe wrench is actually an excellent idea.....was thinking of that earlier tonight when I saw one at a store.....but the intake is still in the car, and I doubt I'll have the space to get one in there.....but may give it a try.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: bypass hoise/water pump question