Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

heater doesn't work

Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
racerseks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater doesn't work

3.9 V6.....Just changed my water pump.....while I was in there, I replaced hoses etc.....now my heater doesn'twork. The blower works, but the air isn't hot. How should I troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:32 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: heater doesn't work

Most likely the heater core is just air bound. Top off the radiator and take it for a drive around the block and you should be fine.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

racerseks,

You didn't specify what year your Ram Van is. So, I'll give you some general tips to investigate the problem.

1.) The heater is supplied with hot radiator fluid via an inlethose. In the engine compartment, this inlet hose has a water-valve block fitting on it. The valve is controled by either a vacuum line or a boden-cable. Make sure that either of these items is functioning correctly when the temp dial is turn on the HVAC control panelnear the radio.

2.) When you replaced the hoses, did you reverse the flow of the inlet and outlet hoses? The inlet hose should be the top line with the water valve. It is rather difficult to push the fluid from the bottom hose into the narrow heater-core tubes working against gravity.

3.) Is the water-valve installed backwards on the inlet hose?

4.)Are the hoses to the heater core connected to the water-pump correctly?

There are basically two HVAC units for the Ram Van series. First generation HVAC from 1971-1997 and the second HVAC generation from 1998-2003.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:28 PM
racerseks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your replies. Got it working again.....just enaged/disengaged the control valve a few times, and it works now.....heat, for whenever I might actually need it here in West Texas.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heater doesn't work