Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Alternator interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Newfhauler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator interchangeability

Hello,
So I started my van this morning and the alternator started that screaming sound that one knows, ok its dead. Upon opening the hood to confirm the dreaded diagnosis there were sparks shooting from it as well. I am wondering if the alternator on this thing is interchangeable with any other Mopar. The dealer has to even order it! The van in question is a 2002 full size ram van with 3.9 v6, air, power steering automatic, it is the 136 amp unit. The sticker on top of it reads as follows,

56030 914AB
TN121000-4451 12V
Denso 70113

Thank you for your help,
Tracy

Old 03-15-2008, 01:15 AM
UltraLite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alternator interchangeability

Mine did the same thing 2 years ago. Belt squeal on start up.Alternator was locked up. After removing it from the engine it turned freely.I talked to an Alternator rebuilding shop owner that I know and he said that was common on the Denso. The Denso's have a fairly thin case. They corrode where the two case halves fit together. This problem occurs if you live in the rust belt. I disassembled my alt and sand blasted the cases and put it back on and haven't had a problem since. You can identify this problem by finding fine cracks in the case where they fit together.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Alternator interchangeability

Denso is known as Nippon-Denso. The company was once 100% owned by Toyota, but now Toyota owns a small percentage of the company.

Denso also makes the rear HVAC for the Ram Van/Wagon passenger version.

Quick Reply: Alternator interchangeability