Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

"NO BUS" in the odometer dash unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "NO BUS" in the odometer dash unit

I own a 2002 Dodge Ram Van 1500, 318 v8, 119,667 original miles, customized by ELK since it was brand new.

Yesterday, July 15th 2014, a day after a huge electrical thunderstorm (don't know if it is related to the problem), my wife used the van one time and there wasn't any problem. She drove about 4 miles.

About 3-4 hrs later she went out to move the van out from under a tree. There were more severe thunderstorms coming our way. She had a fear of a tree coming down on our vehicles.

So, anyway, she tries to start the van. It just cranks without any indication of trying to fire. The odometer went from the mileage to read "no bus". As the key is put into the ignition switch, the gauge needles on the temperature, oil pressure and voltage that were resting at the bottoms of their travel, they moved to their lowest ranges, and remain in those positions when the key is turned to on or crank. The fuel gauge does not move from its normally off position at the lower end of its travel.

All of the following works: radio, front and rear fans, power locks, turn signals, interior lighting.

I connected my scanner, Actron CP9580AL. It was unable to connect to retrieve any information either manually or automatically.

Any ideas on what steps I should take to rectify this problem?

I don't know if the van would start on its own, if it would stall while driving it.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM
sparkzz
Veteran

Unfortunately, the infamous and horrifying "no bus" usually means the ECU is out. You might try reseating the three big connectors under the hood (top center firewall). You will need the numbers off the unit to order a rebuilt one. Expect to fork out $250-350.
Bummer, but I've had to replace them on both my Dodge vans.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 PM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

Thanks for your input. Do you have any idea why yours failed? There was no warning that I am aware of. I wasn't driving it earlier that day. Did your vehicles just not start or did either of them were running and shut down while it was running?

I will try what you suggested tomorrow in daylight.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 PM
sparkzz
Veteran

No reason whatsoever. No error codes, no nothing. They just died. On the '94 it was a no-start for no reason -took a while to finally conclude it had to be the ECU - fortunately it happened in my driveway. On my 2000 it just died going down the road, then the "no bus" came up on the dash, let it sit for about an hour, reseated the connectors, it started up. I drove home and ordered a ECU. No problems with either one since then.

Last edited by sparkzz; 07-16-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:43 PM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

I disconnected the battery and tried some ideas that I read on Dodge Forum.
1) With the battery negative cable off, left the key in the on position for 20 mins to reset the ECC. It didn't help.
2) With the battery negative cable off, removed the 3 bulk head connections on the ECC, inspected the pins and the sockets. Both sides clean. Sprayed electrical contact cleaner on both sides and left to dry for 20 mins. Reconnected them. I didn't help.
3) Removed the ECC and checked ground surfaces. They looked clean. I didn't reinstall the ECC yet.
4) I took off the ECC cover and checked inside for burned surfaces. I couldn't see any visual damage through the gel. I checked online through some parts stores. Autozone has Cardone ECC for about $170 exchanged.

I watched a 90 min YouTube video from TST and MotorAge on diagnostics. The one important thing they mention is that bad sensors can burn out the ECC. They recommend that all the sensors be tested for shorts, etc. and to replace the bad ones before replacing the ECC. I have to research the procedures on how to test the sensors related to the ECC.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

$170 exchanged!

that's a 100% markup in 5 years

OBAMA ?????? has he got his hand in this too?

Quick Reply: "NO BUS" in the odometer dash unit