Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ASD relay questions

Old 01-18-2009, 12:55 PM
KHB1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASD relay questions

Some questions need answers please:
1 ASD relay, I know it stands for automatic shut down relay but what is suppose to make it shut down?
2 Under normal conditions is it getting power (ennergized )
3 ASD relay is fused through fuse #7 30amp.
4 Under the hood ?(we have no owners manual, no decals identifying fuses).
5 Is there a wiring diagram, schematic for the ram van some where I can look at and or copy?
6 What the He** is a Dodge B50? Would a B50 be wired similar to the B250?

My son has a 1994 B250 was running like new, he started it and drove out of the barn running normal and parked it in the sun then shut it off.
Ten minutes later it wouldn't start, had no fuel and spark.
Tank is near full and engine cranks fast new big battery.

Thanks in advance KHB1

Old 01-18-2009, 02:51 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The ASD relay controls power to the computer and injectors. On some model years it also controls the fuel pump.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM
KHB1
Thumbs up Thank you

Alloro:
Thank you for the reply on the ASD relay and I found the auto zone site with schematics to copy covering the 94 B250 from one of your earlier posts.
Here is the link for any one who needs schematics, replace the *** with www (hhttp://***.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1e/af/19/0900823d801eaf19/repairInfoPages.htm)
I still need to identify the fuse locations if any one can help.
KHB1

Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KHB1
Alloro:
Thank you for the reply on the ASD relay and I found the auto zone site with schematics to copy covering the 94 B250 from one of your earlier posts.
Here is the link for any one who needs schematics, replace the *** with www (hhttp://***.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1e/af/19/0900823d801eaf19/repairInfoPages.htm)
I still need to identify the fuse locations if any one can help.
KHB1
Your van may not have a fuse, but a fusible link instead. Re-read your schematic carefully for clues. I think the fusible links in your van are located under the hood in the upper wiring harness section between the battery and the computer.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
KHB1

Rusty93RamVan: Thank you for the information where the fuse links are I saw the link in the schematic and that doesn't appear to be my problem there is a12v at the computer terminal 3 Red wire which is fed through a white wire with the fuse link.
I hope to help check out the van this weekend, its almost 100 miles from me in the meantime son has three forms of transportation available, #1 moped= colder than he**, #2 tractor= colder than he**, #3 foot power colder than he** but walking fast heats some and good for the body we should all do more of that.
KHB1

Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 PM
ricpsfan

Hey here's my problem with 2005 neon auto shutdown relay. I replaced the computer with a rebuilt. Car would not start and after troubleshooting discovered if I ground the 85 side of the asr coil the car will start and run. The 85 side goes to the PCM and I traced this wire for breaks and found none and can even read 12 volts at the PCM plug. Problem with grounding the relay however the alternator isn't charging battery. The relay according to a haynes manual, provides voltage to the alternator field. Rather the PCM sees the relay is energized and then directs other functions such as power for the alternator field. What is strange is when the relay is not grounded and car won't start there is a dash light on steady (owners manual says it's the theft alarm light) and on top of that my actron scanner can't communicate with the PCM. After grounding the relay the theft alarm light goes out and the scanner can communicate however it finds no codes. If I turn the key on three times I get three codes - PO562 Battery voltage low, which it is since it's not charging - PO685 and PO688 moth related to the shutdown relay open, shorted or control circuit low. I've checked wires all weekend looking for a probem and can't find any. Could it be the theft light has something to do with it.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 PM
ricpsfan
Question

Just to follow up on what else is written here. The automatic shutdown relay receives power from fuse 21 in the power distribution center under the hood on a 2005 Neon, 2000 to 2003 are similar. When it's running if you pull the fuse the engine stops likewise if you pull the relay it stops. The ignition on energizes the relay via the fuse. It can be said the PCM controls the voltage to the relay in that it grounds the negative side of the relay coil. The coil closes a contact between 30 and 87 on the relay and this voltage goes to a different point in the PCM as the relay output. When the PCM sees the output then it moves to the purpose of the relay which is to provide voltage to the injectors, alternator field circuit, ignition coil, and oxygen sensor heaters. When necessary to shut down the engine the PCM would just need to unground the coil circuit which opens the contact between 30 and 87 on the relay and the engine stops running. In my Neon the starter relay nor the fuel pump relay would energize unless I jumper the negative side of the automatic shutdown relay to ground. The starter relay coil and the fuel pump relay coil are grounded the same as the automatic shutdown relay coil that is by the PCM. When the PCM sees the output from the asr 30/87 contact it allows the starter and fuel pump relays to energize. In my case the engine runs but there's little alternator output to the battery. I'm still at odds what to look for next.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 AM
MDThomas26
Rookie

Does anyone know where the ASD in a 1993 Dodge Dakota is?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:36 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MDThomas26
Does anyone know where the ASD in a 1993 Dodge Dakota is?
This is the Ram Van forum. You'd be better off asking that question in the Dakota forum.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:41 PM
marationec

I have Dodge Stratus 2.4L 1995. It can,t be started.There is a fuel and current (I change the battery )I have a sound whistle, lights, but my radio does not work.When I try to start it happen nothing.
So what should the problem is.I have Dodge Stratus 2.4L 1995. It can,t be started.There is a fuel and current (I change the battery )I have a sound whistle, lights, but my radio does not work.When I try to start it happen nothing.
So what should the problem is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ASD relay questions