Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

5.9L B350, Crank but no start, No spark, No fun :(

Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 PM
greymatter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response and advice. I don't have a hair dryer,but i think my buddy has a heat gun that he would let me use. Will try that tomorrow and i'll keep you posted on my status.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM
greymatter

So I used a heat gun at 600 degrees for 10 minutes on the ecm and it fired right up. So I guess that means I must replace it. Ugh,thing costs $240. Looks like i'll be taking the bus for a bit,but at least I know what to do now.
Much thanks for the help,really appreciate it. My best guess before posting here was that a ghost was haunting my ignition system.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by greymatter
So I used a heat gun at 600 degrees for 10 minutes on the ecm and it fired right up.
A little bit longer and you would've been using "fired" in a literal sense. Hitting it with 600 degrees for 10 minutes is way beyond the safety margin of electronic components. A 100 degrees for a few minutes is usually enough.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:31 AM
greymatter

Uhh,so simple hair dryers run at 1500 to 2000 watts at a minimum of 200 degrees. Additionally,200 degrees (adjustments were in 100 degree increments and maxed at 1200 degrees) was the minimum setting on that particular model of heat gun i used,and that felt like a cool breeze on my hand(especially outside after it had just rained).A setting of 600 degrees on a heat gun is not like i put the ecm (which also had a plastic cover over it that looked unremovable) in a 600 degree oven.The nozzle disperses quite a bit of the heat as well as the fact that i did not just concentrate it on only one spot. I appreciate the advice you have shared in this,but i didn't just fire up a rose bud torch from an oxygen acetylene set up and put it directly on my ecm.I used a temperature controlled heat gun that i felt the heat on my hand (at a distance because i don't like to be "fired" in a literal sense)before applying it towards the electronic control module.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 PM
akhait01
Default 1994 Dodge ram

Hey guys,

I have dodge 1994 5.2 and i have the exact same problem. i started it and it stalled out and just died. It cranks but no spark. I have replaced everything i can think of: Ignition coil, Distributor(cam sensor, cap), Crank Shaft sensor, PCM. Here's what i do know...at the coil, im reciving 12v at ignition on for 3 sec. then i get nothing at crank...both cam & crank position sensors are getting power to them and returning voltage from them. I do not know what else to do. Please help.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 PM
pmmason312
Question PCM diagnosis help

Originally Posted by Church
Pulled the PCM harness, found good grounds at pins 11 and 12, 12V at pin 3 but 0V at pin 9 which is the ignition feed. I didn't have time today to trace the wire back all the way but it does work it's way into a large bundle that has been chafing against the battery tray. Tomorrow I open that up and try to find my culprit. Keep ya posted!
Church-
where are you getting the pin location and voltages? Is this in the Dodge repair manual? I have yet to find any info about diagnosing the PCM and the harness.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 AM
bewhoppers

my 91 d250 did the same exact thing i put a pump in the tank cause it felt like it just ran out of gas, still no start checked coil was good but no spark, so i put a $300 ecm in it and still no start so i hauled it to the local shop i guess it has whats called a halo ignition system it starts on very high voltage initally and then drop to a second system wich is lower voltage the primary pickup in the distibuter was fried cost me another $300 for distributer install but it did fix after throwing a ton of $$$ into it, i would possibly try a good used distributer make sure its for your make and model hope this mite help w.m.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:29 PM
Troy Stack

does anybody out there have a solid answer on this issue ?I have done this with my van 3 times over the last 6years replaced all the above .I heard for the 1st time that it could be the pcm/ecm is going bad.Why wouldn't an OBD reader pick up on that? Also how wise would it be to get a used one and have it flashed or programed for my van?.It sounds like this is a major defect.I don't want to sink a bunch of cash into a revolving door if u catch my drift...signed dazed and confused in seattle

Old 10-31-2015, 09:31 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by Troy Stack
does anybody out there have a solid answer on this issue ?I have done this with my van 3 times over the last 6years replaced all the above .I heard for the 1st time that it could be the pcm/ecm is going bad.Why wouldn't an OBD reader pick up on that? Also how wise would it be to get a used one and have it flashed or programed for my van?.It sounds like this is a major defect.I don't want to sink a bunch of cash into a revolving door if u catch my drift...signed dazed and confused in seattle
A dealer style scanner would pick up on this.

A HF one wont.

I did notice when my PCM barfed, when I did the keydance, it would not show anything on the odometer.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:23 PM
Troy Stack
Default in response to my problem

so I guess I will try the hair dryer trick and see if that will start it.if in fact that it does start can I drive it and will it continue to start as long as I don't let it sit for too long?? thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.9L B350, Crank but no start, No spark, No fun :(