Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

cold transmission slipage

Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM
roberson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold transmission slipage

On my 1990 B250 318 V8 van, I recently had both U-joints replaced and a complete transmission flush, refill, filter and gasket job with ATF+4. I'm pretty sure that this is the first time for a flush and refill. I feel that the shop is quite reputable. The mechanic mentioned that there was "alot of metal in the pan". The transmission did not slip or act funny prior to the flush/refill. Now when it is cold, the transmission will hesitate and slip a bit. Once it warms up, back to normal. Smooth sailing. Should I go back and ask them to adjust the transmission bands? It is not leaking nor is the fluid low. Am I looking at a potential rebuild?/replacement? Any input would be very helpful.
CHEERS!
roberson

Old 06-25-2009, 11:18 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

It could be because they used ATF+4, which is a synthetic fluid. Although ATF+4 can be used, the tranny did not have it in it's system until recently. Your tranny just might have to live on ATF+3, which is not a synthetic fluid.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:22 PM
roberson
Amateur

Thanks for your reply, would you suggest that I return to the transmission shop and have them re-flush, filter, gasket, and fill with ATF+3? Is ATF+3 still available? Also should I assume that I do not need to adjust the transmission bands and that it is just a fluid issue?
Thanks again!
roberson

Old 06-29-2009, 11:10 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I would first talk to them about the symptoms and see if they have any ideas. Adjusting the bands are standard practice whenever the fluid/filter is changed. If they didn't adjust the bands, they should have.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:41 PM
2bTim

Originally Posted by roberson
On my 1990 B250 318 V8 van, I recently had both U-joints replaced and a complete transmission flush, refill, filter and gasket job with ATF+4. I'm pretty sure that this is the first time for a flush and refill. I feel that the shop is quite reputable. The mechanic mentioned that there was "alot of metal in the pan". The transmission did not slip or act funny prior to the flush/refill. Now when it is cold, the transmission will hesitate and slip a bit. Once it warms up, back to normal. Smooth sailing. Should I go back and ask them to adjust the transmission bands? It is not leaking nor is the fluid low. Am I looking at a potential rebuild?/replacement? Any input would be very helpful.
CHEERS!
roberson
Hi Roberson, I had a 250 94 Dodgeram with 115k and the tranny would slip a little when cold. I went to a supposedly very good transmisson man and he told me that the reason it was slipping was because thev torque converter didn't staart circulating the fluid until it was taken out of park. So maybe you could try taking it out of park after cranking and let it warm up a little first... It worked for me...god luck..

2bTim

Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
roberson
Amateur

2bTim, Thanks for the suggestion. I've been using your suggestion and, so far, it seems to be working out. Thanks for the help!
CHEERS!
roberson

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cold transmission slipage