Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

misfire and lean fuel codes 1996 b1500 5.2L and bad road trip!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
SUNNROSS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire and lean fuel codes 1996 b1500 5.2L and bad road trip!

I have a dodge ram b1500 5.2L 122,000 miles. I bought it 2000 miles and 9 months ago. It was in nice shape with one warning that the gas runs out at 1/4th tank and check engine light came on, but will go off when gas tank is full. I let the gas run below the 1/4 point one time and check engine light came on filled tank and went off in a day or two.

I was going to take a road trip from Philadelphia to Toledo so I had my Van looked at and inspected before the trip. I had a lot of suspension work done (front upper lower ball joints, brake shoes/pads, rear drums, pads/shoes, new belts) along with new tires. 1700$

I also had my catalytic converter replaced (500$)
This threw my check engine light. Misfire codes p0300, p0301, p0303 also a code for my 02 sensor.

Thermostat replaced. Mechanic said engine took too long to warm. 150$
Had 02 sensor replaced. 150$
Tune up had Cap, rotors, and wires replaced. 400$

Spent over 3000$ to get ready for the road trip.

100 miles out of Toledo with almost 1/2 tank of gas. I loose almost all power, high rpm's, crazy front end shaking, knocking, check engine light comes on, blinks some. I pull over check fluids, all fine, no smoke either, wait ten minutes. Drive a little sluggish but almost normal for about 5 minutes when it all happens again but to a worse degree. Pull over wait for about 10 minutes. Try again and barely make to a rest stop half mile up the road. I left the van there overnight, got a ride to Toledo where I tried to look for information about my problems on this message board. I found a similar post and got a ride back to my broken down van where I put in fuel injector cleaner and filled it with gas. It drove fine 100 miles to Toledo and all the way back over the Pocono's to Philadelphia with no problems didn't even seem to be running all that rough.

Check engine light still on with the same misfire codes p0300, p0301, p0303 and also a new code p0171 lean fuel system.

Can anyone give me any direction on this?

I'm going to start working on my ram myself. I am a touring musician and can't afford all these repairs. Thanks for everyone help on here already, it got me home.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low fuel pump pressure. That can cause the lean codes and misfire codes. Keeping the tank above half keeps the fuel pump motor cool, get below that and on these hot days it does not take it long to get overheated and cause you problems. Let it cool down some or completely then it runs ok and you get further.

Even though you could keep the tank above half you will still have lower than normal fuel pump pressure which is not good for the engine. Best to change the pump out before going on your trip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: misfire and lean fuel codes 1996 b1500 5.2L and bad road trip!