Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Gas-like smell inside van

Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 PM
2bTim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gas-like smell inside van

Hi All, I have a 97 Dodgeram 2500 with 57k miles on it (acutal mileage). The van runs very good and is in excellent shape! Recently I've started smelling a gas-like smell inside the van. It seems like it's worse when I run the rear a/c. Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you tried changing your diet?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuel lines and tank filler tube seal. Since you smell it worse in the back of the van with the AC on that is where I would start checking. You may need to drop the tank to inspect the fuel lines at the top of it.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:27 PM
2bTim
Post Gas-like Smell in van

Thanks Guys, One more thing I wanted to add. I just recently had a wheelchair lift installed and to do this they had to raise my side doors. Whenever they cut out a section of the top of these conversion vans like they did above my doors they had to take out "ALL" my interior in the back and weld in a roll cage in the top then put my customized interior back in. My two middle seats where taken out to make space for my wheelchair and the middle section of the carpet was replaced with a rubber flooring. To install tie downs for myy wheelchair they had to bolt down a metal strip with notches in it for the tie downs. One of them is right behind the two fromt seats and the other is right in front of the back bench seat/bed. I'm wondering if any pf this could have cause a leak somewhere? I just wanted to add that because my proble started right after I got it back. Thanks again...

Tim

Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 2bTim
I'm wondering if any of this could have cause a leak somewhere?
Most definitely it could. While working on the van, they could've cracked, broke, or punctured the fuel tank or a fuel line.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
2bTim
Post Gas-like smell inside van

Thanks Alloro, I've got to take my van back where the work was done at for a 6 month inspection anyway, so they can adjust my wheelcvhair lift and stuff. I have another question while I'm waiting to let them check out this gas leak.

I've changed the oil sensor on my van right after I bought it, but my oil light still comes on sometimes when I stop and the gauge needle drops, but when I start off again it goes out and the gauge needle goes back up about half way where it normally stays at. I've been told these vans have a low pressure oil pump and sometimes changing the oil to a synthetic oil will help. Do I need to change to a synthetic oil, or do I need to have the oil pump replaced?? If I need the oil pump replaced is it a expensive or difficult repair? Thanks in advance...

Tim

Old 07-26-2009, 07:32 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Why was the oil sender changed when you first got the van?

The oil light should not come on at all when the engine is running. The fact that it does is indicative of a problem. With 57K miles on it, I doubt it is anything worn out. It is possible that you have a spun main bearing. A spun main will lower your oil pressure and it's possible to never hear any knocking from it. My suggestion is to have your mechanic remove the oil sender and install a mechanical pressure test gauge to verify the actual oil pressure. It's also possible that you have a bum gauge on the dash or an out of the box bad oil sender unit.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM
cudajim
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd look for a bad gas hose somewhere near the tank or in the line to the front. My old Cuda smelled for years before I replaced the rubber hose at the pickup near the tank. It wasn't really leaking, just seeping enough to make a slight gas smell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas-like smell inside van