Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

OBD 2 Trouble Codes (1 of 8)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 AM
evtklay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram 2500 Van full of codes

This is for a sick 318 that has had intermittent no starts, bucking low power and stalls. The episodes are getting closer together, however. Codes center around EVAP with the first coming as 1494 (it does not have a LDP, however) then the most common in coming back is 0443. Yesterday I had a no start and disconnected EVAP solenoid and it started up...but died in the street when I returned home after a short run. On this particular stall, the fuel level gauge was buried empty and a neighbor who heard me stumble past said, "it sounded like you ran out of gas" But I had a gauge on the fuel rail and it read 45 PSI solid. When it got going again, fuel level was fine. Right now it is dead on the driveway turns over fine but doesn't start. No check engine light and no codes, nor the - done - message on the odometer following cycling the key three times to get the codes. On another stall and then no-start the check engine light and codes were subsequently erased spontaneously. It started up again and the codes from that 40 minute ride were: 1595, 0645, 1494, 1687, 0443, 0351. I have replaced the EVAP solenoid and a grease covered and corroded crank sensor. The tech that saw the rotting out CKS stated that O2 voltages were all solid. I have a PCM on order from AllComputerResources. This apparently started from a long idle while we were in a bar while our phones charged when we were on a campout. Any advice?

Last edited by evtklay; 06-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 AM
1kentwiberg

p2554, Dodge nitro -07 2.8 crd

Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM
LanDan

Hello there. I have a question if you can please help me out. You can email me at pnaymom1975@yahoo.com My check engine light came one and we have the OBD II scanner and this code came up. I don't even know what it is we look it up online and how do we change that and what kind of sensor is it. Please let us know.. P0420.. help us please. I really appreciate it a lot
Its for my 1998 Dodge Durango 5.9L

Melanie

Last edited by LanDan; 07-16-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: miss some information.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 AM
evtklay
Default P0420 for Melanie

Hello Melanie.

If you check page 1 of the thread they have the "code definition" so generously provided for you. The definition will usually identify the reason a check engine light is on. You scanned the code and it can also be retrieved by clicking the key off and on three times. The readout is on the odometer. If it doesn't at least say " -done- " you have a whole nuther issue and the poor thing is so sick it can't even talk.

I copied the definition from page 1 here and inserted a couple of comments:

DTC Trouble Code Title, Conditions & Possible Causes:
P0420 2T: Catalyst Efficiency Below Normal (Bank 1) Conditions: Engine speed at 1200-1700 rpm in closed loop with the
throttle open for over 2 minutes, ECT Sensor more than 147°F, MAP Sensor signal from 15.0- 21.0 in. Hg, and the PCM
detected the switch rate of the rear O2 reached 70% of the switch rate of the front O2
(All those things listed so far are the conditions the computer picked up to trip the code. That all the conditions are present helps narrow the search). Possible Causes: Air leaks in at the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipes (First thing is a basic issue - is this thing all the sudden loud? Did a pipe rust off/get broke off from a rock or something? Look no further...it is supposed to be a closed system. Head over to the shop to get a new exhaust.) Base engine problems (high coolant or engine oil consumption) (more basics - you have to check the oil and coolant levels regularly and if you all the sudden have them going somewhere, and it doesn't look like on the ground under the truck, that somewhere could be out the tailpipe...and that is the sign of a pretty sick engine. You may have some hard decisions on if the vehicle is worth an engine swap or recondition.) Catalytic converter damaged (Similar to exhaust question above...did it all the sudden start rattling underneath the vehicle inside the exhaust system prior to the code? Was a contaminant put in the fuel?) or has failed Front O2 older (aged) than the rear O2 (O2 is lazy) (Here's where a good scan tool is necessary for a trained technician to read O2 voltages. This reason i
s listed last, so I think it is less likely than those reasons before it. Was 0420 the only code though? If there are several centering around the O2 sensors I'd just replace them.)

Originally Posted by LanDan
Hello there. I have a question if you can please help me out. You can email me at pnaymom1975@yahoo.com My check engine light came one and we have the OBD II scanner and this code came up. I don't even know what it is we look it up online and how do we change that and what kind of sensor is it. Please let us know.. P0420.. help us please. I really appreciate it a lot
Its for my 1998 Dodge Durango 5.9L

Melanie

Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 AM
MikeDuff

Im getting codes U0120 and U1120. I can't figure this crap out.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 AM
silvergrey

SilverGrey: 2006 Cummins 5.9L 24Valve had the connector that is mounted on the Air Horn which senses airflow from filter was disconnected. Engine started but, I received a check engine light for P0107.

Quick Reply: OBD 2 Trouble Codes (1 of 8)