Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Headers on My 87 b150

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headers on My 87 b150

I had a few questions...I have recently acquired a 1987 Dodge B150 van with 55000 original miles and no rust and in near mint condition. There are currently no issues with the exhaust system at all. It has a 5.2L 318 with A/C. I am pretty excited about having a carbureted V-8. What I want to do is start with putting headers and a true dual exhaust on it, but I had a few concerns. My main issue has to do with the electronics and the O2 sensor. On a car this old and not nearly as computer reliant as today's' cars(I think) would I have to reprogram the cars computer after installing headers and a true dual exhaust, and would I need to have 2 rear O2 sensors, or its function essentially to tell me I need a new catalytic converter? I dont want to mess with a lot of that stuff. I can do the wrench turning so if its simply a bolt on application for the whole deal then I am very interested in pursuing said application, but if it is going to involve multiple O2 sensors and a complete reprogramming of the vans computer. In short - Is this a simple remove the old and put on the new type project or is it more complicated than that? Thanks Appreciate the help - DAVE

Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 AM
UltraLite

Shouldn't be a problem on an 87.You can put the system on and pick up a weld-on 02 sensor fitting at a muffler shop.Drill a hole in the pipe where you want the sensor,place the fitting over the hole,weld it on and screw in the sensor.Cut the wire and extend it if necessary.If you want to lose the catalytic convertor,the computer won't know the difference if you have only the one 02 sensor.Common practice on newer vehicles is to do away with the cats and throw the downstream sensors in the framerails and plug the holes in the pipes.The upstream sensors analyze the exhaust gasses.As long as the downstream sensors have a different reading than the upstream sensors,the computer is happy.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Default follow up

hey ultralite thanks for the quick and thought out response, just to clarify though - I would only need 1 02 sensor or would i need to have one for each exhaust? or would simply putting welding the existing sensor into one of the two new pipes do the trick? or should i have them join together at somepoint and put the sensor there? oh and one thing i forgot to ask, would running true duals without a cat and just two mufflers provide me with enough back pressure to not cause any major headaches? as always appreciate the help. -DAVE

Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 PM
UltraLite

I would try the one first and if the computer don't object leave it be.If you don't have enough back pressure,you could always put a glass pack ahead of the mufflers on each side. You will be able to tell if you have a problem with lack of backpressure as your low speed driveability will be lagging a bit.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
UltraLite

Your PCM is only designed to read the one 02 sensor so I would try to stay away from adding another.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Thumbs up another question regarding headers/smog reduced

hey thanks for that info all great stuff. I called jegs about the headers I wanted to get and everything they said was standard, doesnt link to existing exhaust, no cat and all that.... but the one thing he did say was I would have to remove the smog reducer/eliminator(some early attempt at emissions control), which is pulley driven and feeds to the cat. With headers they said that that would not fit so i would need to get one shorter belt due to the missing pulley. all that seems pretty straight forward, however, will removing the smog reduced throw a code or will it effect more than just say reducing smog...is that connected in some manner to anything else of importance that would could lead to other complications or issues?

much appreciated

DAVE

Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On yours the ECM will not notice the pump being removed. And as stated above just put the one O2 sensor back in.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
as stated above just put the one O2 sensor back in.
The one problem I see with this is that the O2 sensor is only going to read 1/2 the engine, whereas with the original Y-pipe, the O2 sensor read both halves. This could lead to a poorly running engine and poor gas mileage.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '89 only has one O2 sensor. It is on the drivers side exhaust manifold, far away from the y pipe terminus. I wouldn't think it sees any gasses from the passenger bank of cylinders. She purrs.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
d2fel
Amateur

Originally Posted by alloro
The one problem I see with this is that the O2 sensor is only going to read 1/2 the engine, whereas with the original Y-pipe, the O2 sensor read both halves. This could lead to a poorly running engine and poor gas mileage.

That was one of my major concerns that I am definitely trying to sort out before i buy any parts and start taking things off, I dont want to get bogus readings to mess up my mixture and open the door to a whole slew of other issues and troubleshoots.

Quick Reply: Headers on My 87 b150