Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Strange coolant leak...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 PM
chuck11976
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange coolant leak...

My 1988 B150 leaks coolant ONLY after I shut off the engine. However, whats strange is, the coolant is dripping somewhere from the back of the block toward where the motor meets the tranny, and also, even when I drive it for 15 or 20 minutes and the motor is nice and hot, I shut it off and only then does it begin to leak but COLD coolant first and then it gets warmer and warmer coolant leaking. Weird! First off, how could there be ANY cold coolant anywhere in the system after driving for 20 minutes? Second, why does it only leak once the engine is shut off? Third, why does it start of with cold coolant getting warmer as the leak progresses. Like I said, its coming from somewhere in the back of the block and leaks about a cup worth of fluid before stopping.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is from the blocks freeze plugs in side the bell housing of the transmission. The coldness is from the circulated air inside the bell housing as the flywheel and torque converter spin. The flywheel is cold and as the coolant drips on it the flywheel absorbs the heat, as the leak continues the coolant starts to retain the heat. The dripping may still be happening with the engine running and being spun inside the bell housing. You may find it splattering on the ground if you remove the bell housing inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's a picture of the rear of the block so you can see the two freeze plugs. They're the silver caps at the left and right sides of the block. The one top center isn't a freeze plug, it's the back of the cam, and those two screw in plugs next to it are oil galleys.

Name:  freezeplugs.jpg
Views: 7696
Size:  54.2 KB

Quick Reply: Strange coolant leak...