Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tire Jack Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Jack Questions

My 97 Mark III B2500 was missing the tire jack when I purchased the van. This model has second row Captain's chairs and a third row folding bench seat. Under the rear bench there was some sort of hold-down plate that I assume must have been for the tire jack and lug wrench.

Finally, my questions: (1) What type of tire jack came with this van? (2) Where was it supposed to be stored? (3) Where is the jack point on the outside of the van?

Owner's manual is missing so I can't look anything up, and I'm sure the aftermarket Mark III conversion info wouldn't be covered by Dodge anyway.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

It is a bottle jack. Not sure where it is to be stored in your conversion van but that plate most likely is where it was.

According to my owner manual you can jack up the rear axle on the axle tube under the springs.
You can jack the front up by placing the jack under the lower control arm strut rod bracket (look under the front doors and the bracket attaches to the frame with a rod bolting to the lower control arm).

If you might use the jack more often than just changing the tire I would recommend buying a small floor jack and jack stands. I have a bottle jack still in my van but have not used it. I am not that trusting of it or even scissor jacks.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

My '89 came with a Bumper jack. It worked great until I mounted it on the spare tire rack for a trip to Cabo San Lucas and back. Toward the end of the journey and between all the dust and the washboard and multiple tire changes, it would raise the vehicle beautifully but eventually, no amount of coaxing would lower it.

I forget what I did with it, but when it worked it was much nicer than the bottle jack I carry with me now. No getting under the vehicle to line it up, and It could lift up the van much higher to stick some rocks or wood under the tires when I would get stuck. Try doing that with a bottle jack.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Leeann
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, my '90 had a bumper jack, too. It was great.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Thanks everyone. My '97 doesn't have bumpers strong enough to lift with a bumper jack, so I'm sure a bottle jack is what I need.

I already own a 3 ton hydraulic jack for my garage work, it's for road emergencies I'll need the bottle. Right now I'm driving around with a nice spare tire and a 4-way tire iron but no way to lift the van to actually change a flat.

Off to the junkyard to find a Mopar bottle jack!

Quick Reply: Tire Jack Questions